PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian education policy...

tolbiny
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
As i understand it the libertarian party's stance is against public education. Is this correct, and if so which posters who consider themselves libertarian agree or disagree with this particular policy.

3rdEye
10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm a libertarian, and I too am for eliminating public education--although there are other governmental activities that I would rather see eliminated first.

Dynasty
10-11-2004, 08:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a libertarian, and I too am for eliminating public education--although there are other governmental activities that I would rather see eliminated first.

[/ QUOTE ]

With a position like wanting to elminate public education, the Libertarian Party has no chance to gain traction. I'm confident that more than 90% of America can't envision the country running effectively without a public education system. It's too radical a change for voters to get behind.

People constantly gripe about how bad public education is. I'm sure the same basic complaints were being made 30-50 years ago. Everybody always wants education to bet better. They see some bad schools and some bad students and use it to make blanket statements about the whole system.

The current public education system is more than adequate to provide the U.S. with everythig it needs from it.

superleeds
10-11-2004, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The current public education system is more than adequate to provide the U.S. with everythig it needs from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately this is too true.

Dynasty
10-11-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately this is too true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you say that is unfortunate? The public education system provides us with a young adult population capable of moving into entry-level positions in the general workfoce, military, and higher education among other things.

We need those things to contiue to thrive as a nation and the public education system provides.

Is your "unfortunately" comemnt sarcastic in some way?

natedogg
10-12-2004, 02:48 AM
I am against public administration of education, especially federalizing it like with No Child Left Behind, but not against funding it.

This is one of those things where the libertarian party gets a little unrealistic (like when they talk about eliminating the federal reserve).

We certainly should provide education to anyone who wants it. There is great value in that to all of us.

But it shouldn't be mandatory.

And it should be privated. In that I mean the (state) govt should contract out the job to competing private companies. State-run administration of school, at least here in california, is one of the biggest disasters of public policy ever achieved.

And the stranglehold of the teachers' union is one of the biggest problems.

natedogg