PDA

View Full Version : PLO/8 -- How did I play this hand?

03-15-2002, 09:08 PM
2-4 Blinds... I have about 800 in front of me. Other players have me covered, but barely. Solid player opens for 10 up front (but this is done virtually every hand if someone is going to play to build a pot) and one person calls and another guy makes it 25 to go... Another calls 25 and I look down on the button and have 8d8c7d7s. I think about it for a moment, and decide see if I can get it heads up... I make it 150 on the button. Unfortunately all call, except the first 10 caller. Darnit.

Flop is 8c7c4s. I have the top two sets. Woohoo! Original opener bets 100, one person calls, another guy makes it 250, and I move over the top for my last 650 or so. First guy calls, second folds, and the third puts his last 250 or so in on top of the raise to get all in... 500 or so in the side...

Turn is 3s. River Kc. Original raiser has A265 for flopped straight and the other player has A2cc35 for the nut flush on the river. So they split the low and the flush gets the high over the flopped straight. I don't fill up and lose.

My question is this... What should I have done differently? I think I just got myself in a tough spot and got unlucky, but I HATE losing to these guys b/c they are so smug and they act all high and mighty toward me like I am some kind of fish or something. Well, I am pissed b/c I am broke and can't play again until I get paid in two weeks and I don't have any spending money in the interim. I don't want this to happen again.

All comments greatly appreciated!!!

-RR

p.s. I showed my hand, but felt like I shouldn't have. What do you think of that?

03-15-2002, 09:31 PM
PLO8 and trying to get heads up with 8877?!? Egads. You are most likely to only win half with this hand because you need low cards to hit to make the high end of the straight or if you hit your set you either have low cards or some high cards bunched above you.

Your second set removed two of your outs to improve so that sucked. The board is way coordinated and low so once you got extensive action you were guaranteed to be _at best_ looking at a flush draw and a straight draw with made lows. So, _at best_ you were hanging on by your finger tips to half the pot. If you are up against a flush and a straight draw at least one will get there more then 50% of the time. If you are drawing (somebody is already made) you have 5 outs followed by 8 outs and will get there about 1/4 of the time giving you 1/8th pot equity.

Fold this dog at the earliest opportunity. Showing the hand guarantees you won't lack in invitations to the game.

03-15-2002, 09:53 PM
Not being an Omaha8 expert take my thoughts for what they're worth.

I would have been considering folding preflop with this hand. Maybe I would have called but I would certainly not have raised it to $150 to get it heads up.

With this hand you have no chance at getting a low hand and unless you are very lucky your only chance at winning the high hand is hitting a 7 or 8. Of course you can make a straight but that's pretty unlikely.

The flush possibility is of course also there but if you wanna play just take the next hand that comes your way instead.

What you should be hoping for when raising to $150 is to win uncontested, not get one "sucker" to play with you so you can double up. Because things will usually turn out the other way around.

03-16-2002, 01:21 AM
While reading this post, I thought it was a gag. Is it? If not, I suggest you learn how to play before going back to this game. I'm sure you will get plenty of action when you do make it back. Good Luck.

03-16-2002, 02:17 AM
Ray - I'll take a stab and say you need to learn more about this game before you play again. Your holding is certainly not a raising hand. It is probably not even worth calling a raise with - in my opinion. In addition, you need to control your emotions while in the game and not single out players that you wish to get back at. It is self-defeating to approach the game of poker in this manner.

Heed the advice of the people that posted answers. You need to read and study about this game before you play again. If not, you will continue to lose.

-Zeno

03-16-2002, 06:16 AM
If somebody raised my 10 dollar blind by 25 cents and I held this hand I would fold. This hand has no chance whatsoever against any number of opponents. Even if everybody folded you'd probably have to split the pot with the guy sitting next to you just so he doesn't laugh at your cards. Do you take your cards off the table to read them? Don't lie now, I know you do.

Note: You might call the 25 cents if it was high only (but not for 50 cents more).

-MD

03-17-2002, 01:18 AM
You need to read a book and think about your game. A double pair hand is an automatic throw away in O/8. Read Ray Zee and Shane Smith. Shane Smith is an easier read to start. If you do not study the game, you will continue to give your money away. You are also letting your ego get in the way of good judgement. Play your cards and only play your opponents as far as their style. If you play to beat them, you will steam, as you did and will continue to lose money. You ARE a fish if you continue like this. This is not meant as an insult, but as a fact. There are some tough comments here. Use them to your advantage. I want this to help you. Good Luck. P.S., don't show your cards when you do not have to.

Alden Chase (tyro)

03-20-2002, 09:46 AM
You ask where you went wrong.... seeing the flop. 7788 one of the worst possible hands in Omaha 8. Baby tights, bad st8s(when made you only drawing for half the pot)

03-22-2002, 04:12 AM
It has to be a joke. No one plays like that and then talks about it. :0

JoshieK

03-22-2002, 04:13 AM
In a hi game this hand plays pretty well, but in an 8/omaha game-you're right it's not worth a penny more.