PDA

View Full Version : I wouldn't stake Bush

Xargque
10-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Personally I thought the final question for Bush was the most telling. Something like "Name 3 instances where you made a decision that you thought later was a mistake." His response: "As president you have to be firm and stick to your decision." I can deal with a leader who makes mistakes, but when you can't fold a losing hand just because you're invested in the pot, I don't want you playing with my money.

-X

Dynasty
10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
It's a loaded question. If Bush lists three mistakes he made, then his opponents will attack him for the decisions that even Bush says are mistakes. Then, his opponents will criticize him for not admitting his other decisions were mistakes and challenge him to fess up there too. Or, they'll say Bush couldn't even identify his own three biggest mistakes which were A,B, and C rather than the D, E, and F Bush mentioned. It would be foolish for Bush to go down that road.

If Bush doesn't admit to mistakes, the his opponents attack him for being stubborn and arrogant- a charge which appeals to and motivates the Democratic base.

Think of it another way. Ask John Kerry what the three most liberal votes he made as a Senator are.

vulturesrow
10-11-2004, 07:13 PM
I think it was a very good tactical decision not to answer that question. Yeah he gets some flack now but its basically nothing that the Dems with their typical name calling havent already said. Why give your opponents more areas to attack you ?

3rdEye
10-11-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a loaded question. If Bush lists three mistakes he made, then his opponents will attack him for the decisions that even Bush says are mistakes. Then, his opponents will criticize him for not admitting his other decisions were mistakes and challenge him to fess up there too. Or, they'll say Bush couldn't even identify his own three biggest mistakes which were A,B, and C rather than the D, E, and F Bush mentioned. It would be foolish for Bush to go down that road.

If Bush doesn't admit to mistakes, the his opponents attack him for being stubborn and arrogant- a charge which appeals to and motivates the Democratic base.

Think of it another way. Ask John Kerry what the three most liberal votes he made as a Senator are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was disgusted that Charles Gibson allowed that question to be asked. No matter what Bush says, Kerry's rebuttal allows him to put his own spin on the President's response.

I thought Bush handled that question well enough, given how loaded it was.

jdl22
10-11-2004, 07:56 PM
How about this: I regret having not pushed X quite hard enough during my first term. I tried to get it passed by perhaps didn't give it quite enough effort. (X is something he's proposing for the future)

Another mistake was not getting the bitchin' medicare bill through more quickly, I wish I could have signed it into law within the first six months.

Finally, some other bullshit.

These answers would be good for moving on and not seem to dodge the question.

vulturesrow
10-11-2004, 07:58 PM
I got asked a question like that in an interview once. My question was "If you could change one thing about what you did while you were here (the Naval ACademy), what it would be?" My answer went something like, "Nothing. I had some trouble along the way but every decision I made, right or wrong, made me the person I am today and I am very proud to be the person I am today." Maybe Bush couldve pulled something like that off eh?

jdl22
10-11-2004, 08:23 PM
That reminds me of something. I've never really interviewed for a real job (I'm a grad student), but back in high school when we had those excellent "here's what to expect in an interview" one of the questions they claimed was often asked is "what is something you would change about yourself?" or similarly "What is your biggest negative quality?"

Getting back to the question directed at Bush, I think the real question on this ladies mind was "Are you capable of admitting to being wrong or being able to fathom that you might be?" To this Bush pretty much answered "NO!!!" While I don't know about independents, for us liberals this is one of the worst qualities of Bush.

wacki
10-11-2004, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got asked a question like that in an interview once. My question was "If you could change one thing about what you did while you were here (the Naval ACademy), what it would be?" My answer went something like, "Nothing. I had some trouble along the way but every decision I made, right or wrong, made me the person I am today and I am very proud to be the person I am today." Maybe Bush couldve pulled something like that off eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things:

Very good response. I wonder why Bush couldn't just say outloud that that was a loaded question.

Also, Naval Academy? Impressive. I have friends who went there. What year did you graduate?

superleeds
10-11-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was disgusted that Charles Gibson allowed that question to be asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Surely democracy in action. And come on, it's not has if Bush is gonna break the habit of a lifetime and give a straight answer, is it.

Daliman
10-11-2004, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was disgusted that Charles Gibson allowed that question to be asked. No matter what Bush says, Kerry's rebuttal allows him to put his own spin on the President's response.

I thought Bush handled that question well enough, given how loaded it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's ok for Kerry to be asked why he appears to be a flip-flopper?

I guess they didnt want to use waffler, since that's the label they pinned on Clinton.

vulturesrow
10-11-2004, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very good response. I wonder why Bush couldn't just say outloud that that was a loaded question.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really dont think he couldve gotten away with that do you?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Naval Academy? Impressive. I have friends who went there. What year did you graduate?

[/ QUOTE ]

wacki
10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really dont think he couldve gotten away with that do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not. He obviously can't just say it was a loaded question, but he could of made a quick joke about the question being loaded, and then gave the answer he gave.

vulturesrow
10-11-2004, 11:50 PM
I think that wouldve been a very bad move on his part. I imagine the Kerry ad campaign team would have a field day with that one. I think its funny however when you look at the times Kerry gave some token answer and the segued into what he really wanted to talk about it. I realize that both sides try to do this but he was really awkward doing, much more so than the first debate.