PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Play Question

fiyah
10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello, this is my first post on 2+2 forums. I've been playing Party Poker SnGs for about a month, and I've read all the posts on bubble play on here and I'm still trying to lessen the luck factor in these. Is it my style of play or is that just the nature of the game? Basically I'm noticing that the SnGs come down to all in pushes when its down to 4 or 5 people. Especially if no one has run the table over and everyone has between 1k-2k in chips. When its like this I try to push when I am the first in the pot and I have a hand with Ace and 9+ as kicker, OR I push with any pocket pair. I do this to steal the blinds, is there a leak in my play? As for calling all ins I only do it when I have a higher pocket pair, or AK, AQ. Basically I see this as luck taking a huge part in the tournament, so how are people so consistent in making money in SnGs? Thanks in advance for the responses.

rjb03
10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
If you don't like the structure of party's sng's, try pokerstars'. You start with 1500 chips and are able to see more hands before you get desparate. I just played an empire sng saturday after clearing a bonus at ring games. I won it but I still don't like the structure and will probably cash out. It may be just as if not more profitable than stars ($/hour) but I just don't enjoy the games.

fiyah
10-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Well thing is if there is a strategy that I should be using than I don't mind the structure at all. I'm just not sure if I'm employing the correct strategy or not.

willperkins
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
I certainly don't qualify as an expert as I am still learning to play SNGs. I have played 56 Party Poker (10/1) SNGs and have a 41% ITM.

At the beginning, I play very tight and stay out of the maniacs way until the blinds are around 100/200. Usally by then, it is down to 4 to 5 people and I will have between t600-1500 depending on the hands I have been getting (I am usually the short stack).
I begin to push when 1st in the pot with any AK, AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, or PP 88 or larger.
If I get out of the "danger zone" (blinds are 100/200 and I have t2500 or higher), I will lower my 1st in bets to 3X BB.

As I said, I am still learning and would appreciate any comments of my style. I would love to get better at this.

Marcotte
10-11-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well thing is if there is a strategy that I should be using than I don't mind the structure at all. I'm just not sure if I'm employing the correct strategy or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I play at Poker Room, where you also start with 1500 chips so I'm not used to short stack SNGs, but I think you may want to loosen your open raising standards a little bit when at or near the bubble. (Are you familiar with the Gap Concept? If not get Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky). With less than 10BB I would add KQ-9, and QJ to your list at least, maybe smaller aces too.

It helps if you play tight in the early rounds and other notice this of course. Another thing to do is try to steal as many blinds as possible at level 50-100 and above whenever its folded to you in the cutoff or button (regardless of table size). Hopefully the steals will put you far enough ahead of your opponents that the bubble play is a little easier.

lucas9000
10-11-2004, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the beginning, I play very tight and stay out of the maniacs way until the blinds are around 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you might be waiting too long to start stealing blinds. by that time, if you haven't won some big pots already, you're basically committing yourself whenever you're on a steal or you play a pot. i'd say to start making steals at 50/100, but keep your eyes open for opportunities throughout. catching some moron early and winning a big pot can really make a difference. nevertheless, you are correct to play tight early on. you probably just need to change gears earlier than 100/200.

Marcotte
10-11-2004, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
catching some moron early and winning a big pot can really make a difference. nevertheless, you are correct to play tight early on. you probably just need to change gears earlier than 100/200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

Again, I start with T1500 which makes a big difference, but I will try to limp with any pair and suited connecters from almost any position during the first two levels (10-20 and 15-30 on PR). I once more than doubled up with 22 vs. AQ on a Q72 flop, first hand of the tourny. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

TheDrone
10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Pushing to steal blinds with those hands is fine as long as you are in push/fold mode, which a majority of posters agree is 8-10x BB or less. You can loosen up a little on your push hands, although how much looser depends on who is in the blinds. Their stack sizes and playing styles are important factors, and you also have to notice ASAP if/when they change gears.

BTW, if you find that you are consistently in push/fold mode when you get to the bubble, it could be due to one of the following:
(1) You are not exploiting tight players enough in the middle levels by stealing blinds and/or playing aggressive postflop when opponents show weakness. Knowing the correct situations to exploit, especially post-flop, comes easier with experience.

(2) You are not exploiting loose passive players enough in the early levels by limping hands that can flop big, such as suited aces and connectors, and low pairs. And with PP's blinds structure you should complete the SB in level 1 with trash hands if no raise in front. The key here is to dump these extra hands unless you hit big (i.e. better than top pair).

I don't want to throw to many thoughts into one post, but this should be enough to chew on. Most of this is a regurgitation of other posts, so maybe I should not use that figure of speech. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif