PDA

View Full Version : "To bet or not to bet"

03-15-2002, 04:32 PM
I was in a pot limit hold’em game at the Commerce, 10 – 10 blinds. There were four very solid players, two decent players, two weak players, and myself somewhere between decent and solid. I was 2 positions to the right of the button. There were two callers before me, (one solid, one weak player) so I decided to limp in for $10 with J,9 of spades. The button who is decent raised to 50. The blinds folded everyone else called, as did I. The flop came Jh-4s-9d. It was checked to me and I bet $50, with out much hesitation, the button bumped it to $300. 2 other people before me folded. Then I had some issues on what to do next but I decided I would bet big hoping to take the pot down right there so I called his $300, and raised him $800. (trying to represent a set of Jacks) The button asked me how much more I had, I told him a little more than $600, he thought about it for a while and he called! The turn card came a 10c. This is where my question comes in. “To bet or not to bet,” I decided I would check and risk the free card. Here is why. When he called my $800 raise, I had to put him on a set of 9’s which he would already have me, or an over pair. So any K or Q would give him a straight, or a set. Which I would then check and release my hand if he bet and save $600. Any A and I would have to check and call making sure he wasn’t trying to steal the pot. The same thing goes for a 8. The way I figured with the turn being a 10 there was just way too many ways that I could lose the hand. The river came with a 2h I bet $600, he took about a minute and folded his cards.

I am kind of new to the pot limit game, and one would figure he would have folded when I came over the top of him, but he didn’t. Should I have put my self all-in on the turn? Should I have played the hand differently from start to finish?

03-15-2002, 04:57 PM
The ten didn't change anything. He didn't have TT, he didn't have KQ, 87, or Q8. So, either you were still in front, or sadly behind (a set of 9's, I guess). There's something like $2200-$2400 in the pot, and you've only got $600 left. Put it in now, stop worrying about it.

IMHO, this isn't even a close situation. There's no point in trying to guess on the river, and the turn card didn't change things. Get your money in right now.

Regards, Lee

03-15-2002, 05:04 PM
i agree with lee's response....stick it in on 4th st.... he might call with QQ, KK or maybe AA

i wouldn t want a scare card to come and make me decide to dog it --guessing on the end... if you think you have the best hand...which you most likely do....bet it

03-15-2002, 05:24 PM
1bgmxcn,

My guess is that the button had a pair of aces or kings. When you are holding Jack-Nine that reduces the combinations of someone having a set of jacks or nines. I would never worry about that. Would he raise with a pair of fours? That's a possibility, but I doubt it unless he is a very loose or tricky player. You need to go with what you think he had on the flop.

Furthermore, your $50 bet on the flop looked suspicious. That's why I put him on a big pair, and he finally pried himself away from it on the river.

Good Luck

Mark

03-15-2002, 06:01 PM
I'm with Lee. Put your money in.

But a further point. When you bet on the flop you should have already known what you were going to do when you were raised, called, etc. Your $50 bet was asking to be raised by the preflop raiser so you were going to reraise. Why not bet $100-$150, now when you are raised to $400-$500 you've made a bet that gives you some information and if you choose to reraise you can reraise allin or close to it and force your opponent to do the thinking.