PDA

View Full Version : Was I too wimpy?

03-15-2002, 04:24 PM
This hand was from a 1-2 PLH game about a year ago and still bothers me. 5 handed - best player calls UTG, next two players are just ok and friendly, and 1 calls while the other folds. SB is a 20 something who plays most hands but doesn't try to overrun the table, and he calls. I'm the BB and have QQ; I raised the now $8 pot to $16. UTG and SB call.

With $32 in the pot three of us see a flop of Kxx with both small cards being diamonds. Ugh! I'm likely to be in the lead and can't afford to give a free card; so, after SB checks, I bet the pot. UTG (with a slight but clearly controlled hesitation) calls the $32 and raises me the max ($96). SB folds. I started the hand with about $160, and UTG looked to have about $200. If I call, I'm not all in but don't have many bullets left.

I decided this player did NOT have a stone bluff. He might have a nut flush draw. He might have a low pair and made a set. At the time I was also worried about AK because UTG while a good player didn't often raise pre-flop. The only raises pre-flop I'd seen were mine and SB's. Anyway, I knew this guy had something; if it was a flush draw, he'd still beat me if he hit his ace. If he had AK of diamonds, he's got the best hand AND the best draw.

I chose to fold and save my bullets. He showed me AQ of diamonds; I was a slight favorite and should have called. How bad was my play?

Thanx - Fat-Charlie

03-15-2002, 04:38 PM
No. I like your pot-sized bet, and I like the fold to the re-raise. To me, it sounds like an easy lay-down. I would have thought he had either 2 pair, AK or KQ.

Unless he had a dead perfect read on you, his re-raise was madness.

-Marlow

03-15-2002, 05:09 PM
I would have checked the flop..... then thrown it away if someone showed strength. this may be wimpier than you described....but i d give more respect to the king...if you d have had 2 aces...instead of the qq's id have gone all in with it. for what my opinion is worth to ya...good luck!

03-15-2002, 05:17 PM
What amazes me is that you've been stewing about this for a year. Man, I would have made a bigger mistake than that within a *week*, and been stewing about *that* one. Or maybe one bigger than them both put together.

Most of the time, your QQ is no good there. You may well get shown a flush draw *with* the Kd. In which case you're drawing close to dead.

You fold, next hand.

Regards, Lee

03-15-2002, 05:27 PM
I haven't exactly been stewing for a year. I don't get to play poker very often (I live in NC), and on my last trip in November I didn't find a low limit PLH game still acive and settled for 4-8.

The GOOD news is I'm flying to Vegas tomorrow!

Fat-Charlie

03-15-2002, 05:33 PM
No, I think his raise was terrific. If I call, he's getting 2-1 on his money and is only something like a 9-8 dog. He doesn't fear a re-raise or getting bet off the pot on the turn because I'm low on ammo after the call. Of course when I fold, he takes the pot. I REALLY LIKE his play; I was concerned about mine.

Fat-Charlie