PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV Betting segment on VH1

MicroBob
10-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Was channel surfing today and the graphic 'Bodog President Robert Gillepsie' at the bottom of the screen caught my eye.

It was a VH1 show in reality-TV shows (which I don't watch).
They were talking about all the betting that is done on these shows which I know some around her like to participate in....and they specifically were going into how Bodog had to cut-off betting when there was suspicious activiy in one of the Survivor series bettings and more recently with Apprentice 2.

The Survivor one they determined was being bet heavily by someone from CBS.
Apprentice 2 betting was cut short because I guess advance copies of the later episodes were released to the press.

Somewhere in there, they also mentioned something like "Bodog likes to bring in customers to bet on TV shows like this so that they will play more lucrative games like blackjack and poker" which I found a little strange.

IMO, the best part of all this was that at no point (in the parts that I saw) was there a reference to whether internet-gambling was illegal or not. It was just presented as something that people liked doing and that Bodog was one of the sites where people did this.
None of that "since it's not legal to run such a site in the U.S.....Bodog has to operate off-shore" or anything like that.

I think it's segments like this, where internet-gambling is just presented as a normal part of America life, that stands the best chance to help get it regulated in the U.S. eventually.
The segments where it is mentioned that many legislators are trying to inhibit it are the ones that help provoke people into thinking "hey yeah....all of that really DOES sound kind of slimy. off-short operations, underage access, addicts losing everything they own....they really should put a stop to this."

But just mentioning it in a more normal context like the VH1 segment is a very good thing.
It was also probably VERY good advertising for Bodog...which they have to love since it is increasingly more and more difficult for the sites to market themselves.

GrannyMae
10-11-2004, 03:59 PM
this is why i would only bet on live shows like idol.

in the taped stuff, WSEX does not even accept wagers. that's because not only will the market be manipulated, but it will be manipulated falsely so the actual winner will be priced low until the very end. that makes for hundreds of losers and only a few winners.

on a related note, i just saw an ad on cnbc for goallin.net. i have not checked the site yet, but i'm guessing it is another play money site.

also, the UPC show being shown on regular TV seems to no longer run ads for poker sites like they did in the first few weeks. seems like there is much inconsistency now, and replacing the AG may be a good way to get the commercials started again.

vote early and often