PDA

View Full Version : Some Hands For Review

G Baade
10-11-2004, 01:53 PM
I played in a tournament this weekend and wanted you to take a look at these hands.

1) Fairly early in tournament blinds at 50/100 started with 3000 chips and I am at 3400. I am on the button with KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folded to me and I raise to 400. Small blind thinks for a long time and calls. BB calls too. Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB immediately bets 1000 and I agonize for a full minute and fold. SB folds too.

What do you think? After seeing the way she played earlier hands I put her on QJ for 2 pair. At the break I asked her and she said she had me beat, but would'nt say what she had. Good fold or should I have moved all in?

Later my stack is below average at 2400. 11 players left. I have not had a hand to play in an hour and a half. Blinds are 400/800 with 25 ante. I am the button with A J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 1 limper from MP and I limp with the plan of going all in no matter what comes on the flop. SB raises to 1200 and BB folds as does MP limper. I go all in and he calls. He has AK o/s. Flop comes 3 7 J. Turn is K river is K and I am gone. Did I totally F this up?

Thanks

Superfluous Man
10-11-2004, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played in a tournament this weekend and wanted you to take a look at these hands.

1) Fairly early in tournament blinds at 50/100 started with 3000 chips and I am at 3400. I am on the button with KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Folded to me and I raise to 400. Small blind thinks for a long time and calls. BB calls too. Flop comes Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. BB immediately bets 1000 and I agonize for a full minute and fold. SB folds too.

What do you think? After seeing the way she played earlier hands I put her on QJ for 2 pair. At the break I asked her and she said she had me beat, but would'nt say what she had. Good fold or should I have moved all in?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty tough decision and has a lot to do with the read. With only top pair and a backdoor straight draw, I'd probably lay this down if I read the player as someone who would bet out with a set, two pair, or an overpair (or TPTK, which also has you beat). If I read the player as a fairly loose-aggressive player who would bet hard with middle pair or something, then I'd push all-in against her.

But based on your read, seems like you made the right play.

[ QUOTE ]

Later my stack is below average at 2400. 11 players left. I have not had a hand to play in an hour and a half. Blinds are 400/800 with 25 ante. I am the button with A J /images/graemlins/heart.gif. 1 limper from MP and I limp with the plan of going all in no matter what comes on the flop. SB raises to 1200 and BB folds as does MP limper. I go all in and he calls. He has AK o/s. Flop comes 3 7 J. Turn is K river is K and I am gone. Did I totally F this up?

[/ QUOTE ]
Go all-in preflop. It won't get him to fold AK (unless he plays ultra weak-tight), so it seems you're screwed anyway. But still, with 3x the BB you don't have any wiggle room.

Che
10-11-2004, 02:16 PM
G Baade-

1) Raising KQs 4xBB and then folding to a 85% pot bet after flopping top pair would be extremely weak without a very dependable read. However, you say you had one and you went with it. Well done, I guess.

2) I would push PF to try to get headsup with the limper. You obviously wouldn't scare off AK that way, but you have folding equity PF against a lot of hands...which you do NOT have if someone else raises PF or if they bet the pot before it gets to you (as they usually will since you are last to act on the flop). The preflop push also protects you against the BB flopping a monster with a junk hand he would have folded to a raise.

For future reference:

1. Stack sizes of all involved players are helpful.
2. Payout structure is often relevant in late stage posts (e.g. 11 left).

Later,
Che