PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the great advice

03-14-2002, 03:58 AM
But I am a little confused. I am reading HEPAP for the first time. I just read the chapter on short handed play, before the flop. It talks about not letting a super aggressive raiser take charge when you are the sb,BB. Raising back about 40% of the time? And then post flop, raising again a certain percentage? I really do not understand these concepts very well. The gist of the advice I got here was to really tighten up, and play only the best hands, and then play them like a tiger ( I like that comment Zeno!). This seems to contradict the books advice of playing about 40% of your hands when shorthanded. The thing is, when Mr. P does his high 100 dollar preflop raises, it usually is shorthanded, or heads up. I need a lot of work understanding the power of position. To be fair, Mr. P does not do his pre flop raises every hand, maybe it just seems like it. But, holy moly, if he smells weakness with checks, he comes charging in! This weekend is coming up, I must prepare for round 2. Gonna put on my Tonya Harding game face!

03-14-2002, 04:51 AM
Forget everything you have read in HPFAP. That book is useless for you. That is a book about limit hold'em. You are playing no limit hold'em, which is a very different game. The hand rankings don't even have any meaning for you, much less any of the sophisticated stuff.

I noticed in your first post you asked about what hands should you CALL with. Call? You shouldn't be calling anything at all. Fold or raise.

If you're on his right, you should rarely come in at all, and then you should probably go for the limp re-raise every time until he catches on.

Of course, you must spend the whole session waiting patiently for premium hands. That's what he has turned the game into for a player like you.

If he's crazy, he'll continue with this strategy and you will win a fortune. If he's not crazy, he'll stop raising like this whenever you still remain to act.

If he's actually betting $100 when it represents a significant portion of his stack (20% or so), then your strategy is to wait for any big suited ace, any AK, any pair TT or bigger, and move allin when he opens for $100.

If he's a lot deeper, you can raise enough to get pot committed when you have a big pair, or raise enough so that you're NOT pot committed when you have AK. Also, position is PARAMOUNT with this guy and if you happen to be stuck on his right, your WHOLE night boils down to waiting for QQ or better. I'm serious.

It's that simple.

natedogg

nate-web@thegrovers.com

03-14-2002, 01:21 PM
If I may add something...

For the first few months that I played poker, I lost thousands of dollars playing 3-6 heads up on Paradise poker. I never should have been there, and that money is gone forever.

Go back to the game and play the best you know how. If you find that your best won't get the goods, pick up your chips and walk. Even if you are five hands into the session.

If this happens, play as much as possible on UB and Pokerstars. Buy the NL books and read the covers off them. Read and contribute to this forum whenever you can. Then, when you feel more comfortable, go back and give it another shot. Still no good? Walk.

On second thought, you should do all of the above whether you are a winner this weekend or not.

Hope to see you 'round here again.

Good "luck."

-Marlow

03-14-2002, 04:23 PM
As Nate said NEPFAP is about Limit HE. There might be some info in there you can adapt, but its not the focus of the book.

Instead read TOP and Caiffone's PL/NL book.