PDA

View Full Version : Bet the flop, check the turn

sfer
10-11-2004, 01:35 PM
I don't do this enough, so I'm looking hard for board textures where I can checkraise the turn after showing aggression on the flop. How is this try?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks...

J.R.
10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, the representation of an underpair on an A high flop is a great board to check-raise with, as your turn check is plausible and Ax is a common coldcalling hand. Some issues are whether the opponents are the type to call the flop with top pair but bet if checked to (many seem to be, and having two opponents make this better as its more likely one will bet), and is the board such that giving a free card is bad (and is it likely that your opponents want and will take that free card- not the case here).

Redeye
10-11-2004, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't do this enough, so I'm looking hard for board textures where I can checkraise the turn after showing aggression on the flop. How is this try?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you want to do this more when the turn appears kill your hand to the other players? As an example

I have AJ preflop

flop comes Jxx, turn comes A and there are multiple opponents in the pot. To me this seems like a more ideal place to try for a check-raise. Someone almost always would be around w/ Ax and think the ace scared you and bet allowing you to check raise.

Haupt_234
10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have AJ preflop

flop comes Jxx, turn comes A and there are multiple opponents in the pot. To me this seems like a more ideal place to try for a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a better spot for betting out since you will more than likely be raised by an ace and it will be tough to put you on AJ.

I like how sfer tries to checkraise the turn with that board. The typical party player will call down with many aces and not raise, but bet his A2o when checked to. I think this happens especially when sfer plays his hand like an underpair or missed overcards.

Haupt_234

pokerkai
10-11-2004, 02:01 PM
I really like this line. With top two and a nice blank on the turn, at 5/10 i think its pretty safe on a Ace board that someone behind you is betting and your very likely going to trap a lot of bets, with people drawing very thin against you.

sfer
10-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the comments. I figured that the board, in particular the Ace and the rainbow, made it likely that one of the guys behind me had a piece and would bet if I showed weakness. Here's how it went down:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (12.20 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 15.20 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Th Qs (one pair, queens).
Hero has As Jc (two pair, aces and jacks).
CO has 8s 8d (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 15.20 BB. </font>

Richard Berg
10-11-2004, 10:24 PM
You play goot.