PDA

View Full Version : My Self Diagnostic

Festus22
10-11-2004, 09:41 AM
After a few days off to clear my head and inhaling some nitro fumes this weekend, here’s some conclusions I’ve reached. (Aside: I made my annual pilgrimage this weekend to Reading, PA for the NHRA Nationals. All I can say is if you love absolute mind-blowing power and noise, you must attend one of these events sometime in your life. It can’t really be described – it has to be experienced.)

Back to poker,

Auto Pilot No Goot – When I started $2/4, I would play two 0.5/1 tables and one 2/4 with nearly all my focus on the 2/4. That worked well and I eventually added a second 2/4 table. Eventually, I ended up playing four 2/4’s and I wasn’t really paying close attention to any of them. I am not good enough to beat four 2/4 tables without concentrating.

Terrible River Play – My river PokerTracker aggression factor was below 2 (1.6 to be exact) over the past month. I missed more value bets than one would have thought possible. Throw in a few bad beats and I became even more tentative. This was a very significant portion of my slide and one probably overlooked for too long.

Lack of Reads/Notes – Related to auto-piloting, I had gotten lazy characterizing my opponents. I hadn’t recently updated player notes or exported any PokerTracker data.

Too Loose Early – I was limping with any suited ace and small pairs and even some smaller suited connectors. I know these hands probably can be played profitably by a better player from EP in the Party 2/4 game but they were money losers for me.

Not Semi-Bluffing Enough – Perhaps contrary to popular opinion, not EVERY 2/4 pot goes to showdown. Especially with limping hands, I had gotten into the habit of quickly scanning the board and if I hadn’t connected, I’d just click the Check/Fold button and stop focusing on the play. I know in the months prior, I would probably take down a few smallish pots per hour with a turn bet with pretty much nothing.

So I did get some time in this weekend and made some adjustments.

I reverted to the Tight Game preflop strategy as outlined in SSHE. Right or wrong, it’s what I going to use until I’m back on track. Then I’ll decide whether to lossen up a bit or not.

Three tables only – This probably doesn’t sound like a big change but it allows me to focus a lot more on individual players. I’ve tried playing just one and sorry, just can’t do it. TOO SLOW.

Limit sessions to one hour, then take a break.

Absolute total focus on the table when I’m playing a hand and follow most of the action when I’m not. I don’t want to get TOO intense when playing and take the fun out of it but I’ve got to get out of the “just click the buttons” mode I had fallen in to.

Think about every decision. Again, I was making plays without thinking what I wanted to accomplish beforehand. This weekend, I even got into the countdown timer before acting a few times as I replayed the action in my head or did some mental math. Trust me, taking extra time is an historic event for me!

Semi-bluffed! I made maybe 8 attempts at pots no one was showing any interest in and I took all but one down! It seems once you show down a few big hands, the steal opportunities very frequently pay off.

With these changes, I thankfully had a good weekend results-wise but I think even better was that I felt much more connected to the tables and my opponents. And I felt I actually played pretty good! And that’s a feeling I haven’t had in a long time.

Now the challenge will be to retain these guidelines over time and rebuild my confidence. When I objectively think about it, there’s no doubt decent play is enough to beat Party 2/4. I just cannot become lazy or over confident. This was certainly a humbling experience but frankly, in a strange way I’m glad it happened.

Lastly, I want to thank those who PM’ed me offering some excellent advice. This is a great community here and I greatly appreciated the fact that some made the effort to truly help a fellow member in need.

I’m back!

Evan
10-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear it. Welcome back and good luck.

spamuell
10-11-2004, 10:01 AM
Hey Festus,

I'm glad to hear you are back.

Would you mind posting a couple of those semi-bluffing hands you mentioned (in the same thread)? I would be interested to see them. If you don't what to for whatever reason, fair enough.

Thanks.

Festus22
10-11-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the sentiment.

I'm at work right now (shhh!) but I'll dig up what I can when I get home.

One I clearly remember is having 9-2o in the BB.

An EP and LP limper, SB completed.

Flop was K-8-4r. Checked around.

Turn was an 8. SB checked, I bet, everyone folded. Just seemed like the perfect scare card to try it. Like I said though, this is a RARE play for me to try but when you think about it, I'm risking $4 to win $8 and in a situation like this, I think you take it down much more often than that.

I think betting a scare card is pretty much SOP in the higher games so it might not work as much (you'll get called down more or someone will play back at you) but I think it does much better in the passive lower limit game.

brian0729
10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
Hey Festus,

Good to see your back and a very good post. I have cut back from four and five tables to two for some of the very reasons you stated. Good Luck

Brian

P.S.-I am sure the drag racing is loud and cool, but I will take the Outlaws at Williams Grove everytime. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

spamuell
10-11-2004, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One I clearly remember is having 9-2o in the BB.

An EP and LP limper, SB completed.

Flop was K-8-4r. Checked around.

Turn was an 8. SB checked, I bet, everyone folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never do this. I'd be worried that given the looseness of my opponents, they'd find something to call me with on the turn and I'd have to fire again on the river and I'm really reluctant to put 2BBs into this pot.

Maybe I'm missing out though and this play does make money. I'd be interested to see what others think.

kelvin474
10-11-2004, 11:25 AM
Whether or not it makes money, I don't think it's a semi-bluff. You don't really have outs if you get called.

spamuell
10-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Whether or not it makes money, I don't think it's a semi-bluff. You don't really have outs if you get called.

I agree it's not a semi-bluff either. But if you do get just called, your nines may well be outs, and perhaps even the twos if your opponent wil call down with Ax here (which is probably unlikely). I don't think these possible outs are enough to warrant this play though.

Festus22
10-11-2004, 12:49 PM
I probably picked a bad example to illustrate the semi-bluff point. This example was a flat out bluff, period. I was trying to convey the fact that there will be times during play when a situation like this will arise - just a few limpers, drawless board, no one has shown any interest and a scare card hits - when your opponents will fold 50% if not more of the time when you bet. If you never try it, you're probably not giving up very much but there is also little doubt in my mind that it's +EV.

It's especially true after you've played a few orbits and shown down nothing but good hands. Some opponents actually do pay attention to such things so that makes it even better to try to take an occasional withdrawl from the bluff-equity bank you've been depositing in to. Even if it doesn't work, the next time you bet it is likely someone will remember your previous attempt and call you down when they otherwise would have folded. So you make the BB back that way.

One last point is that in the example I cited, that was the last bet I was putting into the pot unimproved. There's no law that says I have to keep running it through the river.

I believe I read it in HPFAP that you make your money in tight games through bluffs and semi-bluffs. I know "normal" 2/4 is anything but tight but there are times when tight conditions develop and opportunities arise.

Just try it a few times and let me know the results. I think you'll be surprised.

PS - How do you think CDC gets his amazing win rate? He has the goods every time?

spamuell
10-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I try it sometimes, I'm just saying I wouldn't have done it here. Generally I like to do it when an Ace is on board, as people are much more reluctant to take off a card as they fear they are more likely to fear they are against a pair of aces than other cards, and there are no overcard draws. Also, I rarely do it with three opponents.

Blarg
10-11-2004, 04:52 PM
I sometimes find the scare card tactic works especially well with flushes at this limit. At 2/4, people don't respect any pair but call with any pair of their own, so even if they know you have aces, they don't care. But if they merely suspect you have a flush, suddenly it's not just their hand that matters, but yours too, and they often fold. Even if it's not really your hand at all.

Still, though, doing the scare card tactic against three opponents is a rough thing to try to get away with. If one guy calls, others might too, but if your first player or two folds, the others might follow suit.

spamuell
10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At 2/4, people don't respect any pair but call with any pair of their own, so even if they know you have aces, they don't care. But if they merely suspect you have a flush, suddenly it's not just their hand that matters, but yours too, and they often fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean by this. I have taken it down with a complete bluff often on XXX monotone flops with a bet. Especially Axx all one suit.

bakku
10-15-2004, 06:16 AM
PS - How do you think CDC gets his amazing win rate? He has the goods every time?

Yes.

CDC has an ungodly skill at flopping the nuts. And sets. And straights. Especially with 3-gapped connectors.