PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of TV Poker?

Boopotts
10-11-2004, 02:23 AM
I was flipping through the channels today during a break in the NFL action, and happened upon the 1984th replay of the main event on one of the ESPN's. I watched for about 3 minutes, and then it dawned on me-- I am completely and utterly sick of watching poker on televsion. Now, this feeling isn't entirely new to me. I've never been all that big on watching a bunch of monkeys scramble all over each other for the opportunity to be the first to push all their chips into a nothing pot with pocket 5's. But, at least when this fad first began the games weren't inundated with throngs of petulant 20somethings trying to out-macho each other in front of the cameras while they plow through Grandpa Enis' trust fund.

I'm not sure what brought on this epiphany, but I'm pretty sure it involved a clown named Josh Arieh. Are you serious? Is anyone else just dumbfounded with this jerk-ass' act? I'd rather watch Green Acres reruns than have to endure another 10 minutes of watching this doofus pound his chest when he catches a 4:1 shot on the river. And while I'm at it, I could probably do without watching Scott Fischman-- another jack-off on the high end of a variance curve, might I add-- offering unsolicited hold 'em lessons to Doyle frickin' Brunson.

One of the things I've always liked about poker is that as a rule I can't stand poker players, which makes it just that much more fun to take their money. Obviously, this requires participation in the event, and since I can't do that when I'm watching on TV it's becoming clear that I have no use for just being a spectator. I'm not adverse to wasting time, but spending a day watching a table full of guys whose prior hold 'em experience was limited to pounding on the 2-4 at Party ranks right below cleaning my kitchen floor with a toothbrush.

Just wondering if I'm alone out there in the ether, or if there isn't a so-far silent minority of us who are ready for all this to end.

Dominic
10-11-2004, 05:19 AM
yes, the re-runs are getting ridiculous, but I do love watching poker on TV. Still.

daryn
10-11-2004, 05:46 AM
i have honestly never understood the fascination of watching poker on TV. it has always seemed stupid to me.

that said, i would LOVE to APPEAR on TV, playing poker.

Sarge85
10-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I agree with your sediments, but at the same time, everytime a new poker show comes out - with nice little commericals from our online poker sites, thats just more invitiations for fish to coming swimming.

Personally - I can't stand watching Celeberity Poker - I mean that is some bad bad poker. At the same time - if that what people are watching - more power to them.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MrDetroit
10-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Well said sarge. By the way, I'm sick of asian women driving on the express way, and you don't see me posting about it....... opps.

-MD

Easy E
10-11-2004, 12:29 PM
no

midas
10-11-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm generally sick of TV poker but I'd love to see some Best of Compilations like:

1. Best Phil Helmuth whining moments - the scene after loosing to Annie is classic Phil - I'm sure there are more.

2. Best of Doyle Brunson schooling the young'ins - Doyle vs Fischman would headline.

3. Best of Mike Matusow - this show would begin with him walking to jail and then look back at classic moments.

Feel free to add to the list.

DVO
10-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Great post. All of the celebrity poker and 90% of the pro tourney poker I also find boring now.

I wish they'd show real poker hands, for example chip leaders bullying the table, but that wouldn't sell to the masses. They only want all-in showdowns apparently.

AncientPC
10-11-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't watch TV poker, but I'm glad they show it 24/7.

Blarg
10-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Green Acres is a classic.

Matt Groenig, creator of Life in Hell, The Simpsons, and Futurama said it was very weird back when it first came out, and still holds up today. True -- it was so different and weird that it really seems unique even today. And the show was full of talented actors on top of their form.

Now if you were saying watching reruns of Petticoat Junction was hard to do, or of pretty much any sitcom out now, I'd be on your bandwagon.

Moyer
10-12-2004, 12:40 AM
All good points. Celebrity Poker has got to be the worst. I haven't been able to watch that show since the West Wing episode.

I have noticed lately the increase in online poker site commercials. Party, Pokerstars, and Pacific. And not just during poker shows, but a variety of shows. They are usually late at night though, when advertising is cheaper. I'm watching Dennis Miller right now on CNBC and I just saw a Stars commercial w/ Moneymaker & Fossilman. I can't help but smile.

Bobby Digital
10-12-2004, 01:15 AM
I am sick of the final table that is condensed into 1-2 hours of a bunch of all in coin flips. However I love the 7-8 hour tourneys that fox sports has showed, the live final table tourney, and the '03 WSOP. I love tourneys with a lot of play where I can see something new the 2nd or 3rd time around.

Lawrence Ng
10-12-2004, 06:25 AM
I just watch Shana...