PDA

View Full Version : Ken Caminiti, dead at age 41

Dynasty
10-11-2004, 01:41 AM
This is really going to fuel the debate over steroids in baseball.

Wrestling fans are usually aware than many of the WWF's stars of the 1980's have died in ways which suggest they were steroid-related. Caminiti's death is going to arrouse suspicion the same is happening in baseball.

Ken Caminiti dies (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2004-10-11-caminiti-obit_x.htm?POE=SPOISVA)

[ QUOTE ]
NEW YORK (AP) — Ken Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP who later admitted using steroids during his major league career, died Sunday. He was 41.

Ken Caminti breaks a bat over his knee after striking out in 2000. The late infielder played 10 seasons for the Astros in two stints and was the 1996 NL MVP with San Diego.
By Camilla McElligott, Houston Chronicle via AP

Caminiti died of a heart attack in the Bronx, said his agent-lawyer Rick Licht. The city medical examiner's office said an autopsy would be performed Monday, spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said.

"I'm still in shock," San Diego Padres general manager Kevin Towers said. "He was one of my favorite all-time players."

The three-time All-Star third baseman often was in trouble the last few years. His 15-year big league career ended in 2001, five seasons after he led the Padres to a division title and was a unanimous pick for MVP.

Just last Tuesday, he admitted in a Houston court that he violated his probation by testing positive for cocaine last month, and was sentenced to 180 days in jail.

But state District Judge William Harmon gave Caminiti credit for the 189 days he already served in jail and a treatment facility since he was sentenced to three years probation for a cocaine arrest in March 2001.

In May 2002, Caminiti told Sports Illustrated that he used steroids during his MVP season, when he hit a career-high .326 with 40 home runs and 130 RBI. He estimated half the players in the big leagues were also using them.

Caminiti returned to baseball this year as a spring training instructor with San Diego.

"When I saw him in spring training, he didn't look good," Towers said. "I'm not surprised."

"The best way to describe him is that he was a warrior in every sense of the word. I can't tell you how many times I remember him hobbling into the manager's office, barely able to walk, and saying, 'Put me in the lineup.'"

Licht said Caminiti was in New York this past weekend to help a friend, but did not go into detail.

"Man, that's just a tough one. I played with him for eight years," Dodgers outfielder Steve Finley said Sunday night, learning of Caminiti's death after St. Louis eliminated Los Angeles from the playoffs.

"He was a great player, but he got mixed up in the wrong things — taking drugs. It's a sad reminder of how bad drugs are and what they can do to your body. It's a loss all of us will feel."

Caminiti batted .272 with 239 homers and 983 RBI with Houston, San Diego, Texas and Atlanta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob Blackburn
10-11-2004, 02:04 AM
Don't forget Ken was a addicted to cocaine/crack. Steroids could have lead to some of his problems, but most of it was most likely the use of narcotics.

nolanfan34
10-11-2004, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget Ken was a addicted to cocaine/crack. Steroids could have lead to some of his problems, but most of it was most likely the use of narcotics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of the same thing. But how did Lyle Alzedo die? His death was steroids related, wasn't it?

Always sad to read something like this. Gotta be tough for the Astros today, as a lot of those guys like Bagwell and Biggio were teammates of his at one time.

lu_hawk
10-11-2004, 12:36 PM
didn't lyle alzedo die from a brain tumor? i remember how he said it was due to steroids but i doubt that steroids can contribute to brain cancer, testosterone is naturally occuring after all.

Francis Dollarhyde
10-11-2004, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
didn't lyle alzedo die from a brain tumor? i remember how he said it was due to steroids but i doubt that steroids can contribute to brain cancer, testosterone is naturally occuring after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alzado believed it was from human growth hormone and some equine-based hormone products. He also took steroids.

wayabvpar
10-11-2004, 01:09 PM
Alzado also ingested nearly every form of intoxicant on the planet at one time or another. I am sure the steroids didn't do him any good, but I don't think they were his only problem.

J.A.Sucker
10-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Steroids would almost assuredly cause cancers. Regulating hormones are all about balance; throwing that balance off can cause lots of cascading effects, including turning on cellular growth mechanisms that shouldn't be happening (i.e. cancer). Brain cancer is probably the most likely. It's like these people who have pituitary problems and end up dead at 40 - George Mureshean has a problem with this. They produce whacked-out amounts of hormones and their bodies produce tumors in time.

That said, in Cam's case, I bet the coke/crack is what did him in, but the roids probably didn't help. You just wait and see when these athletes today all start getting cancer (hey, Giambi, I'm talking to you).

Blarg
10-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Just in this story alone is four years worth of cocaine use. Cocaine is a very hard drug on the body, and can increase heart rate and the chance of heart attack and stroke. Taking it at the rate a sports superstar can afford it, or much of a rate at all, for years and years is a dangerous thing.

Combining it with steroids and other drugs is stupider and more dangerous still.

Sounds like this guy did a lot of unhealthy things that could lead to deadly results.