PDA

View Full Version : It's NOT a rivalry

Neil Stevens
10-10-2004, 11:07 PM
(Answering something stupid said on Fox just now)

It's NOT a rivalry. The Yankees aren't rivals with any of those teams that they keep beating year after year after year. The Yankees have no more a rivalry with the Red Sox than they have with the Devil Rays.

It's bad enough that Fox keeps insisting that it's a rivalry (to try to keep everyone who doesn't live in the New York/Boston corridor interested in that one-sided matchup), but it's really annoying to have to hear about it as the Dodgers are trying to salvage the season here in the bottom of the 8th.

SnakeRat
10-10-2004, 11:11 PM
They hate each other.
They compete against each other.

That makes it a rivalry.

Neil Stevens
10-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Do the Yankees even know that the Red Sox exist?

SnakeRat
10-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Don Zimmer knows Pedro.

Neil Stevens
10-10-2004, 11:22 PM
OK, there was that. I wonder how much of a fight there can be before it creates a lingering resentment.

It'd be interesting to know what, if anything, is said about Boston in the New York clubhouse.

Dominic
10-11-2004, 05:13 AM
Angels.

Yankees don't have a winning record vs. them in the last 10 years.

look it up.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Losing all
10-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Sturtze knows Nixon/Kaplar/Ortiz. Not that 3 big guys gang raping a pitcher is something Boston can be too proud of.

Lazymeatball
10-11-2004, 07:17 AM
A-Rod knows Varitek's glove.

And Steinbrenner himself that he thinks the most important games to win are those against the Red Sox, and against the Devil Rays (he hangs out in Florida alot).

kyro
10-11-2004, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sturtze knows Nixon/Kaplar/Ortiz. Not that 3 big guys gang raping a pitcher is something Boston can be too proud of.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. if i remember right. sturtze attacked kaplar out of the blue and nixon and ortiz came to his aid. he's lucky ortiz didn't bodyslam him.

and, to the original poster, of course it's a rivalry. any true red sox fan DESPISES the yankees. and i can guarantee you new york would be an incredibly depressed place if the yankees ever lost to the red sox in something important.

there's a reason why of the 19 times these two teams played each other this year, about 5 or 6 of them were considered some of the best games of the season.

FWIW, I do agree the announcers should shut the hell up about the Yankees/Red Sox during a game in which they are not playing. That would piss me off. save the stories for when they meet or on Sportscenter where they can do their 14th featurette of the two teams in the last 6 months.

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 10:58 AM
It's a rivalry in the same sense that the Hammer and the Nail have a rivalry.

Neil Stevens
10-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I won't get tired of that line.

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I won't get tired of that line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Not until it's proven differently. It's far from original, but it's accurate.

jagoff
10-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Isn't it strange that since the mid 1910's that the Atlantic Northeast has developed a serious alcohol problem? Year after year, they drink, waiting for that special team to overcome a "curse". Year after year, things are being exhumed from lakes, priests are offering prayers, people believe that this is the year, only to come to the harsh realization that this isn't the year AGAIN! Year after year, Red Sox fans get more drunk, more surly, more oblivious to reality until October hits and they have to play the Yankees. Reality snaps back into place then only to be clouded by Bucky Dent, blurred by Aaron Boone, blacked out by Bill Buckner. Drink yourselves stupid again you Red Sox fans this season ain't gonna be any different!

Jagoff- A happy supporter of the Evil Empire

lu_hawk
10-11-2004, 02:28 PM
as a yankee fan i think the red sox are rivals. they even have a better team on paper this year.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
as a yankee fan i think the red sox are rivals. they even have a better team on paper this year.

[/ QUOTE ] It's a good thing games are decided on the field and not on paper.

DanS
10-11-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's a good thing games are decided on the field and not on paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be decided on the field this year. And we're not even going to give the Yanks the courtesy of a sixth game.

Dan

Uston
10-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Right. And stick the Cards in the AL East and they'd have a tradition as rich as the Montreal Expos.

Yankee fans view it as a rivalry. Red Sox fans view it as a rivalry. Everyone else? Doesn't particularly matter.

Neil Stevens
10-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, and I'm tired of Fox and ESPN acting like nobody else matters.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 04:04 PM
It's not really a rivalry in the sense that Boston really doesn't have a history of winning. The Yankees on the other hand have won and will continue to win. In some respects, NY-Oakland is more of a rivalry than NY-Boston.

I think the Yankees sweep Boston this year. You heard it here first! If I am wrong, oh well, but if I am right....hoooty hooooo, eat it bean town biatches.

Lazymeatball
10-11-2004, 04:17 PM
Care to wager on that sweep prediction? I'll even give you 6:1 odds.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 04:30 PM
yeah, I'll bet you a dollar.

Lazymeatball
10-11-2004, 04:45 PM
sweet, if the Yankees sweep the Sox, i owe you $6. Do you prefer PokerStars or UB transfer?

daryn
10-11-2004, 05:00 PM
for once i wish we could play a damn game on a piece of paper.

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right. And stick the Cards in the AL East and they'd have a tradition as rich as the Montreal Expos.

[/ QUOTE ]

blah blah blah, we are 3-2 against the Yankees in the World Series. How have the BoSox fared against the Yankees in the postseason? How many World Series have Boston won?

[ QUOTE ]
Yankee fans view it as a rivalry. Red Sox fans view it as a rivalry. Everyone else? Doesn't particularly matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, relax, obviously I'm just screwing with the predominantly Boston bent of this message board.

It's one of sport's great rivalies, you Boston fans are just so easy to get bent out of shape. I actually root for Boston because I love Pedro, but I admit there's definitely a perverse feeling of "all is right with the world" when the Yankees beat them. Particularly when the Yankees go down to defeat in the subsequent round.

Uston
10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
blah blah blah, we are 3-2 against the Yankees in the World Series. How have the BoSox fared against the Yankees in the postseason? How many World Series have Boston won?

The inferior team can often win in a best of seven. Making the playoffs when you're in the same division as these bastards is another story.

You may be the only pro-Pedro, anti-Red Sox person on the planet. I'm a die-hard and I'll readily admit that he's one the biggest bitches in pro sports.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 05:55 PM
you serious? for a dollar? I am on pstars. If they don't sweep, I'll transfer you my entire bakroll errr... I mean dollar.

PM me later.

Any other takers? I will do two more at the most, and only on pstars.

daryn
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
i'll take the bet, for $1? no more?

Michael Davis
10-11-2004, 06:21 PM

-Michael

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 06:25 PM
It'll be back.

lu_hawk
10-11-2004, 06:42 PM
i'll take that bet for as much as anyone wants to put on, then i can cover myself at 20-1. the sox are 12-1 to sweep.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 06:43 PM
yeah just a dollar. I don't really like betting on sports, so I will really only do a dollar.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 06:44 PM
huh?

daryn
10-11-2004, 06:48 PM
ok haha, i bet $1, if sox get swept u owe $6. makes it interesting right? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 06:49 PM
you have it backwards. If the sox get swept you owe 6.

daryn
10-11-2004, 06:52 PM
haha you're right. you should have run with it! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 06:53 PM
So far, lazymeatball and daryn are giving me 6 to 1 that the yankees sweep boston. I am betting one dollar to each of them, I will accept one more suitor. If they get swept, both of you owe me 6, if they don't get swept, I owe each of you a dollar. PM with your pokerstars ID's so I can transfer if needed /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 06:57 PM
LOL, this will be fun. I bet you will be sweating through the first game, and then in the second, then the third, and finally in game four when those bean eaters get swept!

lu_hawk
10-11-2004, 07:49 PM
they are offering odds on exact outcomes of the series, what team wins and in exactly how many games. yanks are getting 20-1 on the sweep, sox are at 12-1. i believe the sox are favorites to win in 4 through 6 but the longer the series goes the more favorable it gets for the yanks and they are favorites to win in 7.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 07:52 PM
oh, okay, my 6 to 1 bet is looking pretty weak right now /images/graemlins/laugh.gif good thing it's only a dollar /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nolanfan34
10-11-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe the sox are favorites to win in 4 through 6 but the longer the series goes the more favorable it gets for the yanks and they are favorites to win in 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's gotta be great to see as a Sox fan. Basically the oddsmakers are saying, "we think you're good enough to win, but if it goes 7, we're now expecting you to choke it away." Egads.

FWIW, my official prediction, Boston in 6.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Go to Yankee Stadium wearing a Red Sox hat and then ask the question.

I've never heard a NY crowd chant "Baltimore Sucks" when playing the O's.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 08:48 PM
That's not the point. The rivalry exists because of the fans' attitudes, not the players'.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 08:49 PM
well thats because the sox suck.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Sox in 5 if, and only if, the Yankees get lucky and win a game. No decent starters, no Mariano to close (besides, even if he makes it back the Sox own him). Game, set and match, and it isn't even close.

kerssens
10-11-2004, 09:13 PM
Yanks in 6

Neil Stevens
10-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Even if that's true, then Fox's insistence that it's the best rivalry in all of sports for all time is just absurd. It's not even the best rivalry in baseball.

I don't see how it can be considered even one of the more interesting rivalries until both teams show they can win. The Dodgers and Giants have a good rivalry, for example. They go back a long way and they both get the better end of it sometimes.

Yankees/Red Sox is just a hammer and a nail. There isn't even any suspense.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 09:28 PM
I'll agree that the best rivalry is all professional (US) sports was once Steelers-Browns, and maybe that's coming back.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 09:33 PM
if the Yankees don't sweep, then yes you are right Kerssen, Yanks in 6, boston fans crying in 5.5 games.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
You got it backwards. Sox in 5 and it isn't even close.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 09:39 PM
leave it to you Boston fans to get your hopes up so high on the eve of the ass beating that is coming the Red Sox way.

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You got it backwards. Sox in 5 and it isn't even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's close, you've never done it.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
That's not the Sox fan in me talking, that's the gambler. The Sox are simply the best sports bet I've seen since Doug William's Super Bowl 'Skins team. I'm laughing all the way to the bank. I have never - repeat never - bet on a Red Sox team before, especially against the Yankees. I think they are so clearly a stone cold lock that I'll have to go Ch. 7 if they lose. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I bet precisely $0 on both Pat's Super Bowls - I don't bet out of being a homer, I only bet sports those rare times when I believe I'm a huge overlay.

No guts, no glory.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
you've never done it.

That's 100% irrelevant to this year. There is no more truth to a curse as there is to a rush in poker.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Boston in 5 games??

I dunno man, I think people may be getting excited by Boston sweeping Anaheim, but I don't think that Anaheim team was as good as Minnesota.

You wanna make a wager that Boston doesn't win in 5? I got a dollar on that. What kind of odds you give me?

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 09:54 PM
it's not a curse its just a mentality. The sox have the mentality of losers and choke artist in the playoffs, the Yankees are the opposite.

Neil Stevens
10-11-2004, 09:55 PM
You discount psychology, then?

We know at least some of the Sox believe it. Even if Schilling still thinks Mystique is a dancer, Martinez seems shaken. Lost confidence means a lot, just look at Odalis Perez in Dodgers/Cardinals game 4.

But even if none of the Sox believed it, the added confidence the Yankees have from repeatedly beating the Sox has to help.

ThaSaltCracka
10-11-2004, 09:58 PM
beating isn't even the right word..... owning, beasting, bitch slapping, pimp slapping... those are the right words to describe this "rivalry".

Clarkmeister
10-11-2004, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you've never done it.

That's 100% irrelevant to this year. There is no more truth to a curse as there is to a rush in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said anything about a curse.

daryn
10-11-2004, 11:45 PM
you're using past events to try and make a statement about the future. do you bet the farm on red when you see 10 black in a row on the roullette wheel? actually you would probably bet black.

nobody believes in curses, only the media, and especially not pedro. remember? go ahead and wake up the bambino and i'll face him. maybe i'll drill him in the ass.

Neil Stevens
10-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Spins of a roulette wheel are independent. Baseball games involving the same teams are not.

nothumb
10-12-2004, 03:52 AM
I'd like to remind you guys that the Sox won the season series this year, 11-8, and won two of those games by beating arguably the best closer in baseball history.

NT

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-12-2004, 05:37 AM
The sox have the mentality of losers and choke artist

reconcile this statement to game 3 vs. Anaheim.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-12-2004, 05:40 AM
I won't bet on the number of games, and my entire net worth is already bet on the series.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-12-2004, 05:55 AM
You discount psychology, then?

Not at all. The psychological factor is what makes the Sox a huge favorite. Were it not for this "history", *nobody* would be picking NY in this series. Curt Schilling knows he can win big postseason games vs. the Yankees, and Foulke has all the confidence he needs. Pedro's "daddy" speech is meaningless when his opponent in game 2 is John Lieber. Mariano Rivera knows the Sox have his number. The Sox have the defense to hold a lead in the late innings, the Yankees do not. Right now, Mussina would be the 4th starter on the Sox.

Yes, the Yankees know how to win the big ones, but that won't overcome the huge talent deficit they face. The Sox are better at every position except 3B & RF (SS is a push) and have a stronger bench and more team speed.

daryn
10-12-2004, 05:05 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Spins of a roulette wheel are independent. Baseball games involving the same teams are not.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement is totally stupid. when people talk yankees/redsox, they bring up the fact that boston hasn't won in 80 something years,

do you think the 1923 red sox have anything to do with today's red sox?

lu_hawk
10-12-2004, 05:29 PM
i don't think he was talking about the 1923 red sox. if a team beats another team then you have to figure that it is more likely that the same team wins the next game, simply because it is more likely that the team that won the first game is actually the better team over the long run. at least i think that's what he meant.

kerssens
10-12-2004, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Sox are better at every position except 3B &amp; RF (SS is a push) and have a stronger bench and more team speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

SS is a push?? Are you serious?

daryn
10-12-2004, 05:34 PM
why do we have to go in circles here?

first off, clark said something like "they've never done it" implying that that means they have less of a chance to win this year than the yankees, simply because the yankees have won a lot. it seemed like clark was talking about the entire history of the two teams, not particularly the last season.

ThaSaltCracka
10-12-2004, 05:44 PM
you forgot about the bullpen, NY has a better pen as well.

SS is not a push, its a def on Jeter's side.

Neil Stevens
10-12-2004, 06:50 PM
It's only totally stupid if you misunderstand it that badly.

Instead of going with the obvious meaning, which is to look at the last few years between these two teams, you went with the ridiculous long view.

I didn't bring up any curses. I'm just going with the recent dominance.

Clarkmeister
10-14-2004, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to remind you guys that the Sox won the season series this year, 11-8, and won two of those games by beating arguably the best closer in baseball history.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to remind you that it wasn't the playoffs then, and they lost against the Yankees when it really mattered, i.e. when they had a chance to win the division late in the season.

The hammer is kicking the nail's ass again....truly shocking. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif