PDA

View Full Version : Chips and dips

03-05-2002, 04:10 AM
It's amazing how badly some people play poker. Sometimes I just think to myself, "how is it possible he doesn't realize how much he sucks?"

The last time I played cards, I saw so many bad plays and ridiculous moves it literally had me laughing. I couldn't help it.

One grumbling old curmudgeon in the game was one of the worst players I've EVER played with. His entire strategy appeared to be as follows:

1. Nurse a short stack for a couple hours until dealt AA, KK, or QQ.

2. Raise all-in.

3. Start shaking and sweating and mumbling until everyone folds. If it looks like someone might actually call you, say "let's see who's got the real hand here. Let's see who's got a hand." He actually stated at one point, and I'm not making this up, that he wasn't brave enough to raise with AK on the button. Thanks for the info! Just in case it wasn't clear.

Another grumpy old man had a similarly flawed strategy. He would buy in for $100 and then wait a couple rounds until he found an ace or any pair. Then he would move all-in. Alternatively, he would wait until he flopped any top pair, then move all-in.

One time he moved in with A8 and got called by TT for, of course, $100. He happened to catch an A on the turn, only to lose to a T on the river. You should have heard the man bitch and moan about his awful luck. Everytime he lost a pot, he would snap his cards in disgust and look at the board for a few seconds and then mumble "Yeah, that looks about right, what possible card would come besides that one? Of course." and then muck in disgust. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENED. He did this even when he had been behind the whole way.

Another player refused to bet ever unless he had the nuts. One time I made a cursory stab at the pot with absolutely nothing. He called BEHIND me, so I was completely done, period. We check the turn and river and I win when I pair a 6 on the river. He practically tore his cards in two because I "rivered" his king high flush draw. He couldn't believe his awful luck. "They always get what they need!" he moaned, as the dealer pushed me my monster $50 pot.

Another wily player who actually was pretty good just couldn't resist the thought of busting out a big pair. He would make interesing moves like call $70 preflop with 62s in the BLINDS when the blinds are 1-2-2.

Yes, some stacks were deep but surely you can wait for a better situation to snap someone off than this? Six-deuce? The other good thing about this player was that he had such contempt for all the rest of us, he was so aggressive, that all you had to do was check to him if you wanted some money in the pot. It was that simple.

I watched a player who plays a lot of limit hold'em join the game and proceed to slowplay AA and KK preflop, doubling up against a flopped two pair TWICE by catching up on the river. Then, he flops top pair with AQ in an UNRAISED pot and gets about $350 in the middle and somehow pulls out of that one. Of course, at one point everyone folds to him on the button and he raises $25 to win the $4 worth of blinds.

Unfortunately, the old man who only raises with three hands goes all-in. The limit player thinks for a good two minutes and finally decides to lay down, flipping over KQs to show his big laydown! It apparently took him two minutes to deduce that his opponent wasn't on a completely naked re-steal I guess.

Unreal.

natedogg

03-05-2002, 05:22 AM
Can you please export some of those awful players over here?

No-limit Holdem came to London last week with the first small no-limit game and at least THREE 2+2ers were present. (My prescence here shows that you don't have to be good to post to the 2+2 forum. But posting to the forum does show that you think about the game, study the game and are try to play it as best you can - unlike lots of other players out there). Of the remainder one was so feared that the good players in the PL game I played the next day simply would not think about playing NL with him in the game.

So thats four known good players.

The only question is do I follow my competitive instincts or do I do the sensible thing and avoid the game until I get better or it gets easier? See you down there Dave Max and Mr Peterson!

03-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Which of us is so feared that nobody would switch tables?

David

03-05-2002, 11:07 AM
Dominic. (Your name was mentioned as well)

Related to this, you two are obviously good at this game. So what are you doing trying to beat the likes of me out of a couple of hundred quid or so? At the table next to the one I was at (the £50 buy-in Holdem/Omaha) there was a big Omaha game going on - one pot must have had at least £5,000 in it.

Seriously, why aren't you in that game? It puzzles me about Natedogg aswell. Surely you could get together a few K (probaby MY few K) and move up to the bigger games, and surely the opposition isn't that much tougher.

I couldn't even look at that pot without wanting it. If I ever get to your or Natedogg's standard then I'm going to go and bust their collective asses /images/wink.gif

[Just like I'm going to bust yours and Dominics this week! - play in the Omaha you're going to need that money when I catch up with you /images/wink.gif ]

03-05-2002, 07:45 PM
New faces are always welcome in the PLO at the Vic. Especially tight, juicy hold'em players with "a few K". Dave 'n' Dom (I might call them "D&D" since it nicely captures the pale, spotty teenage anorak feel) might be a bit predictable, I fear.

My favourite Ali Sarkeshik PLO quote (to a well known US holdem player, new-to-the-game and soon to be out-of-the-game, raising from the blinds): "How do you feel with your two aces now, sir? We are all expert ace locators here!"

My favourite David Young quote (after losing for a couple of hours at heads-up PLO): "I lost, but I had fantastic value there. He only beat me because he raised all the time".

The Bakka!

03-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Nate,

Gotta love the old curmudgeon in the nine seat. Once a guy walked up and said "Hi ___." His response: "I don't know why you're talking to me."

One night I sat three seats behind him and raised his $5 limp to $15 every single time it was folded to me. I then bet $15 on the flop if he called and no ace hit. Busted him twice, $5 at a time.

Matt

03-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Ok. I'm on my way. Is someone offering to pay my plane ticket?