PDA

View Full Version : Worried in a giant Pot

zolltron
10-10-2004, 05:30 PM
4-8 Live Game. Generally loose passive.

UTG is strange, she is loose and moderately aggressive but aggressive in strange spots.

Solid is a good player. He is more passive pre-flop than I would be. I didn't know much about his postflop play at this point.

I am UTG+1 with AQo

UTG calls, I raise, Solid player to my left calls (erg), Loose-Passive calls, another Loose player three bets, BB calls, UTG caps (?), Everyone calls.

Flop comes Ace-Ten-3 two clubs, I have the ace of clubs.

Checked to me.

Here's my reasoning. I'm unlikely to be able to put a substantial portion of the field to two bets, and even if I do, that's not going to give a single pair bad odds to call. Furthermore, if it gets checked to the preflop three-bettor and he bets that will give me much less information than a raise will.

So, I bet. Solid player raises, three-bettor calls, UTG-capper calls.

Turn comes Ten.

I'm worried that the solid player may have raised on the flop with a worse hand trying to get a free card on the turn, or (more likely) trying to clean up outs. UTG has basically revealed that she has KK right before the dealer put the turn on the board (and she's not likely to be doing something tricky here, one of those players who's not concerned about fooling her opponents)

So I bet. Solid player calls, everyone else folds.

River comes blank.

I bet, Solid raises, I call.

I'm not sure about either the flop or turn play. I find it remarkable that I'm so lost in this hand and am almost embarassed to post it. But here it is.

Tell me what you think.

thanks
-z

StellarWind
10-10-2004, 06:02 PM
Sometimes I think reading this forum too often overcomplicates some players' thinking. They stop trusting themselves.

I think this is a simple hand requiring simple, straightforward play. You played it fine. Sorry if Solid trapped you with some slowplay.

edthayer
10-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Does anyone fold this when it gets capped back to you preflop?

StellarWind
10-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Not when the back-capper is described as aggressive in a strange way.

If I trusted the 3-bettor and capper to have really good hands I would definitely consider folding.

Actually I raised AJo EP tonight and released it when the cap came back. Of course AQo needs to be taken more seriously.