PDA

View Full Version : Checkraised on the river

sfer
10-10-2004, 02:45 PM
Live 4/8. There are a group of regular players who show up together late at night here known as The Gypsies. They talk. A lot. And they play. Unpredictably and bad. Good times. The villain is a Gypsy.

I am UTG+1 with interracial 7s and open-limp. Bad, blind, old EP limps, weak player limps, calling station limps, both blinds come along--villain is the SB.

6 to the flop for 6 SBs. Flop comes T /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Checked to me, I bet, only the weak player and the BB drops.

4 to the turn for 7 BBs. Turn is the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB checks, I bet, all call.

4 to the river for 11 BBs. River is the K /images/graemlins/club.gif. SB checks, I bet, blind guy folds, LP calls, SB checkraises...what's your action?

Entity
10-10-2004, 02:50 PM
I raise because I know his K5/K7 is no g00t. You're behind to TT, KK, and 56. TT and 56 should've checkraised the turn at the least. You may lose LP, but if he's really that bad, you may not.

Rob

Noodles
10-10-2004, 02:51 PM
raise him,some might say to call to get a call from the LP but how do you know he would not fold anyway?

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Doing anything other than reraising would be silly. Given the board and how it played out, do you think SB has TT or KK or 56? I mean, seriously.

bisonbison
10-10-2004, 03:04 PM
what's your action?

Wendell, you can't win by folding. Ask him, "are you hungry? WELL WHY DON'T YOU CHEW ON THIS?" and push in at least 30 chips. The dealer will make you take back all but 16, and then the man will think you're nutty and 4-bet you which you can call and lose or win or whatever, your point having been made.

sfer
10-11-2004, 12:11 PM
3-betting is that easy, huh? I thought it was closer, which probably confirms that I'm not playing particularly well right now.

Anyway, I 3-bet, LP folded, SB announces my set of 7s is good and calls, and it was, beating his turned set of 4s. I love that he's good enough to read my hand but still calls.

bdk3clash
10-11-2004, 12:20 PM
Player like that occasionally make freaky-good reads, but it's more like a trick to them than anything else. They do, however, occasionally make some "impressive" laydowns, though I'm sure those are balanced by awful laydowns where they would have won a huge pot if they had just called to be sure, like we all tend to do in big pots.

Players at small stakes seem to have this notion that if you called in a big pot with a reasonable hand and lost you made a mistake or something. Weird.

colgin
10-11-2004, 12:21 PM
I am sorry that I got to this atfer the results were already posted, but, yes, this does seem like an incredibly easy re-raise on the river. I think you are ahead here way more than 50% of the time here and I think his checkraise here may prevent getting an overcall from LP anyway.

TheHip41
10-11-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
, LP calls, SB checkraises...what's your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet almost every time. Most of the time he will show you some ugly ass K's up. Once in awhile he will have gutted a straight, but you beat so many hands he could be c/r you with. He might even have like KQ

MoreWineII
10-11-2004, 01:08 PM
What colgin said.