PDA

View Full Version : JJ UTG; what do you do?

durron597
10-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Very general question, but I'd like to hear people's responses as to why they would do what they answer in the poll. You have JJ UTG and approximately 30 BB. What do you do?

Please try to pick a choice that most closely matches what you would do. Obviously there may be extenuating circumstances; for example if a player reraises all the time with suited connectors, low pocket pairs, etc. you might do something different, but pick the response that you would do against a typical player. Assume that in the first question you are covered by a "typical opponent", but in the second and third questions a "typical opponent" has a stack that could hurt you but not bust you, so like 15-20 BB.

durron597
10-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Is it because this is a difficult decision that there are so few replies? Or does it have to do with the lack of views? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fnord_too
10-10-2004, 04:39 PM
I cannot answer this. In all cases, I make a standard preflop raise, how I respond to raises and reraises is entirely dependant on the situation. For example, say I have 25 BB and raise to 3BB, then someone reraises all in to 7BB and someone else pushes all in to 8BB, I am probably calling (unless I have a strong read that one of the other players has an overpair, but it would have to be pretty strong since I am getting over almost 4-1 on the call and I will get to see the river wothout further expense).

There are just way to many variables to answer the raise and reraise parts, but just about always I'm raising 3BB UTG with JJ if I have more than 10BB. (I know I said alwasys above, but I'm sure I could come up with some extenuating circumstances where I limp, and early on, when the blinds are particularly small compared to average stack size, my standard raise is usually a bit more than 3BB).

shaniac
10-10-2004, 05:36 PM
I too am having a tough time answering this question, especially in rigid poll-format. I'm not really sure what you are getting at, the overall value of JJ in a tournament?

Also, unless it's a deep money big buy in event, having 30BB early in the tournament is usually anything but short stacked.

Since I read this post though shortly after this hand took place, I will at least provide a little JJ anecdote: I have 2K in the $215 Stars Sunday. Blinds are 50/100, I make it 300 to go with JJ two off the button. BB has an equal stack to mine and makes it 1K to go. I think for a little while. I fold.

Shane