PDA

View Full Version : The insane asylum got out early today: Hands with a maniac

SomethingClever
10-10-2004, 12:37 PM
This guy sat down and said, "I'm going to play every hand," and proceeded to follow through. I was sitting just to his left.

However, even though he was playing maniacally preflop, he was almost reasonable postflop. He was aggressive, and he showed a bluff or two, but he would also fold if he was clearly beaten.

His stats (64 hands):

VP$IP: 92%
PFR: 45%

Here's the first hand I was in that involved him.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, UTG+1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Maniac raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Maniac caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Maniac raises</font>, Hero 3-bets?

I'm 99% sure that BB has a PP smaller than mine, but Maniac could have anything. Who 3-bets here, and what's your river action if Maniac keeps the aggression on?

The next hand I played with him was super standard... he open raised A7o, I 3-bet with KQo, and flopped a K. Turn was another K and he called me down. Here's the next hand after that

Are the blind defense and flop call out of line against this player?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Maniac checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Maniac calls.

River: (5 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Maniac checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Maniac folds.

Final Pot: 6 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 5 BB, won by Hero.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>

Here's the last hand we were HU. I think this line is pretty standard given the opponent, but what do you guys think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 <font color="purple">(Maniac)</font> caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Maniac bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Maniac 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Maniac calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (10.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 12.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12.75 BB, between Maniac and Hero.</font>

Entity
10-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Hand #1, Hero 3-bets and calls a cap.

Hand #2, g00t.

Hand #3, in your position, I play it the same.

Maniacs are fun.

SomethingClever
10-10-2004, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand #1, Hero 3-bets and calls a cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I did that.

What's your river action when BB checks and Maniac leads again?

[ QUOTE ]

Maniacs are fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun like a rollercoaster. High highs, low lows, and sometimes I feel like I want to throw up.

Entity
10-10-2004, 01:10 PM
If he's not terrible postflop, like you say, I call the river. You've got the second nuts here, but raising may knock out BB (he may fold anyway), and there is the possibility that you're behind. I think an overcall here is probably what I'd go with, especially given your description of maniac.

Rob