PDA

View Full Version : AQo against a shortstacked unknown

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 11:50 AM
No specific read on opponent except he has 7-8BBs left.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: nepenthe is UTG+1 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">nepenthe raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, nepenthe calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
nepenthe checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, nepenthe calls.

MoDOH
10-10-2004, 12:21 PM
hmmm... whatīs your gameplan here? I dont really think that this is the right spot to slowplay your hand,which is essentially what you are doing. You probably have the best hand and if you donīt you have plenty of outs to catch up. Raise and then take it from there.

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 12:39 PM
This wasn't a slowplay. It is a passive call-and-see-what-the-turn-brings play. Without reads on opponent as loose or a maniac I actually have a fairly good reason to believe I'm behind. Just because he is shortstacked doesn't mean he is blowing off steam with a marginal hand; in fact being shortstacked gives certain players motivation to play better.

easypete
10-10-2004, 01:19 PM
I agree.... without a read, you absolutely need to raise this on the flop. What are you going to do then, call down or fold if a turn doesn't give you something good?

You have TPTK, backdoor flush, a gutshot, and an overcard.

MP1 could have a lot of things that beat you, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK... But could also have things that you beat. AJ, KQ, KJ, KT, 99, 88.

Without a decent read, I think it's either fold or raise here, and I'm not folding w/ TPTK here.

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 02:26 PM
I was actually planning to call down no matter what. An Ace gives me two pair, and a K gives me a straight. Plus I have backdoor flush draw to boot. But given that I have no read on this guy and he 3-bet preflop, I'm now behind EVERY SINGLE pocket pair from TT-AA. I'm even solidly behind to AK - another normal 3-betting hand. I'm ahead of AJ, AT, maybe KQ, and maybe a lower PP. As to KJ and KT...they aren't really 3-betting hands unless opponent is a LAG, but I don't know that.

So why would I want to raise this flop? Do I want hands like 99 to fold? The pot is small and I'm heads-up; if I'm ahead I have very little to protect.

Someone I don't remember once said in a book whose title I don't remember that "Discretion is the better part of valor." I'd like to think it applies here.

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 08:05 PM
is really irrelevant. Turn was an offsuit K and the river was an offsuit blank. He got cleaned out with his KQo. I still think it is judicious not to go to war on this flop without a read.