PDA

View Full Version : Tournament resources

Homans
10-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I'm new to this, so sorry if this has been asked before. If so, please respond with a link.

Any recommendations on books regarding tournament play? My experience level is beginner.

Rooster71
10-10-2004, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm new to this, so sorry if this has been asked before. If so, please respond with a link.

Any recommendations on books regarding tournament play? My experience level is beginner.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, Tournament Poker for Advanced Players is by far the best book written on tournament theory. It's not exactly for beginners, but if you read it over and over to the point of understanding it will work for you.

Rooster71
10-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Also I would recommend checking the "Books/Software" section of this forum.

MLG
10-10-2004, 03:31 PM
better than a book, read all the old posts by greg (fossilman). Until his book comes out this is the best way to improve your game in my opinion. Also keep reading this forum, occasionally we have some really good stuff here.

beachbum
10-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Read posts by MLG, Sossman, davidross, EmarkM, Che, and some of the other successful tourney players too. (sorry to those I didn't mention specifically)

shaniac
10-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Before, or shortly after, reading any poker book about tournaments, I recomend doing this first:

Search for anything and everything you can find that was written about tournament poker by Paul Phillips and Greg "FossilMan" Raymer. Their online contributions to tournament theory dwarfs that made by any one book on the subject, and probably edges out the cumulative knowledge contained in all the tournament books on the market.

Sklanksy's book has some good concepts, but I always find his writing a bit tough to chew on.

Cloutier's book is severely flawed in my opinion and in the opinion of a lot of decent tournament players. I highly doubt he wins as much as he does playing the way he advocates.

The Ciaffone/Ruben book on PL and NL poker is invaluable for basic big-bet theory, with little attention to tournament concepts. Highly recomended.

The Harrington/FossilMan book, which is reportedly on the way, is occasion for much hope.

Shane

MLG
10-10-2004, 06:00 PM
its actually 3 books, 2 by harrington, 1 by fossilman

shaniac
10-10-2004, 06:58 PM
3 books...in one? One product that's 2-parts Harrington and 1 part Raymer?

Shane

MLG
10-10-2004, 07:02 PM
no its actually 3 completely different books with different release dates. check out the books and software forum, Mason posted about it fairly recently.

beachbum
10-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Phil Gordon just has a book released too. It's supposed to appeal to the "advanced beginner". It reads much smoother than a scientific Sklansky book and doesn't just cover pure mathematics or game theory.

steamboatin
10-10-2004, 08:40 PM
What username for fossilman?

I tried to search fossilman but found no matches. Or just a link would be fine.

MLG
10-10-2004, 08:43 PM
greg (fossilman)

beachbum
10-10-2004, 08:58 PM
Fossilman's archived posts:

(copy and paste this whole link, don't click on it)

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/dosearch.php?Cat=&Forum=,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,All_Forums,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,&Words=&Searchpage=64&Limit=25&where=& newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&daterang e=&bodyprev=&Name=332

Homans
10-12-2004, 11:56 PM