PDA

View Full Version : folding trips????

phrosty
10-10-2004, 07:38 AM
A recent hand got me wondering about the proper play of a set when you need to hit the full house to win. In the small blind I picked up a pair of 6's and limped in hoping to catch the set, five of us took the flop with no pre-flop raise. The flop came K, 8, 6 all spades and I led out for $1.50(.10-.25 NL), BB folds, next player calls, cut-off raises to $5, button calls and the action is to me. The pot is now 14.25 and I have 3.50 to call so I'm getting about 4-1 on my call what is the proper action here?

Andy B
10-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I'd probably post this in the small-stakes no-limit section. How much do you have left, and how much does the cut-off have left? For that matter, how much does the third player have left? If you or the raiser are all-in or nearly so, you can definitely call because you have two cards to hit your full house. I probably call anyway, because a lot of players will wait to raise with a made flush. You probably have the best hand, and if you don't, you've got outs. If the money is deep, I think moving in is a viable option. Not that I play much NLHE or anything.

Stork
10-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Without a read on the cutoff, I reraise that. He could easily be rasing with the Ace of Spades, or AK or K8 trying to protect his hand. How much to reraise depends on the stack sizes.

dogmeat
10-10-2004, 12:14 PM
This is a very easy call since you have only $3.50 left in your stack. You do not really know that you need a full house to win. The raiser may well be on the nut-flush draw, or may have a strong king and underbet what he should have here. Hell, given the fact that this is a low-limit game, the player may have two pair or a pocket pair.

Now make it interesting. Say you have $25 in front of you. What do you do? Certainly you are not going to fold. Your chance to make the correct play here:

Call
Raise $5
Raise all-in

What important information are we missing before you make this decision, besides the players past history?

We need the other players stack sizes.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

sourbeaver
10-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Similar story, not saying I made the correct play, but i banked over 150$ on that trips (50$ NL at Party).

Raised pot

Sour 3s 3h
+ 2 opponents

Flop 5s 3s 10s

(hmm, bad floppy floppy)

I bet the pot and get called (I'm 90% positive the guy as a fairly big ace, probably AT or AJ), other guy folds.

Turn : another spades (great .. my trips officially went to hell, i now have a very weak flush with my 3s). I check the turn, he checks.

River : rags (not spades). Now I wonder what's up. At that very moment, the guy who folded earlier reveals he held 2 spades and folded because he thought I had flopped flush ace high, making it that much more unlikely for my lone opponent to hold a spade. Now it is very possible that the guy still has a lone spade, but it's also fairly possible my opponent thinks I got him out-flushed, so I bet strong, representing the ace high flush. He called and revealed AT (top pair), and my weak flush won the 150$ pot.

sourbeaver
10-10-2004, 10:11 PM
I like folding or reraising depending on stack sizes and your read on the opponent.

AncientPC
10-11-2004, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Similar story, not saying I made the correct play, but i banked over 150$ on that trips (50$ NL at Party).

Raised pot

Sour 3s 3h
+ 2 opponents

Flop 5s 3s 10s

(hmm, bad floppy floppy)

I bet the pot and get called (I'm 90% positive the guy as a fairly big ace, probably AT or AJ), other guy folds.

Turn : another spades (great .. my trips officially went to hell, i now have a very weak flush with my 3s). I check the turn, he checks.

River : rags (not spades). Now I wonder what's up. At that very moment, the guy who folded earlier reveals he held 2 spades and folded because he thought I had flopped flush ace high, making it that much more unlikely for my lone opponent to hold a spade. Now it is very possible that the guy still has a lone spade, but it's also fairly possible my opponent thinks I got him out-flushed, so I bet strong, representing the ace high flush. He called and revealed AT (top pair), and my weak flush won the 150$ pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've bet the turn to represent the A high flush.

DyessMan89
10-11-2004, 12:26 PM
You flopped your set, the pot is huge, and you got 4-1 on your call. I dont see how you can lay it down.

I mean ... you come into the hand with a low pocket pair trying to make a set, I dont see why you would fold once youve accomplished that ... if you were planning on doing that why call with 66 pre-flop to begin with.