PDA

View Full Version : First month of playing, BANKROLL

eel
10-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Yo 2+2,
My first post here, been playing Poker seriously for 1 month and started out with around 100€. ( 1.00 EUR = 1.24065 USD )

Started out on 0.25/0.5 NL tables. Played there for a week and it felt like I totally dominated those tables.
After the first week I was up 1567€ playing only 1 table 0.25/0.5 - After that result I felt confident that I could move up.

So I did, next week it was 1/2. After a drop of about 400€ I started to get a hang of it and proceeded with my winning streak.
I even set up a goal for the 2nd week so I would feel motivated. When the week ended I found myself just a couple of € short. 2nd week: 3563€

3rd week began the same, just kept playing at 1/2, satisfied with the action I got. I got the feeling I couldn't lose, and I didn't. I ended the week at 6808€, even exceeding my goal with 800€. All this on just one table.

Now I am in present and I still haven't figured out if i'm just on a hot streak or if i'm really outplaying my opponents. I see the fish, and I catch it, that's about it.
Been playing some home games in the past, but not even close to the level I play now, and i'm not even a favorite there. Do you think I can hold this up? Even go up to 2/4 when I reach 10k?

Well, would be happy for any respones. My goal for the month is to reach 11,111€, which is 100,000sek.

waffle
10-10-2004, 07:48 AM
How many hands are you playing? What is your big bets per 100 hands win rate?

eel
10-10-2004, 07:58 AM
As I said, i'm a newbie, I have no program to log my hands, but I've really put in the hours, around 5-10h/day sometimes more sometimes less when working etc. Just wondered if this is normal, or if I should be ready for a big drop etc.

waffle
10-10-2004, 08:05 AM
I can't be reading your post correctly - you made 1567€ playing .25/.5? Is there an implicit decimal point? Is this roughly equal to two thousand USD or twenty USD?

KingMarc
10-10-2004, 12:47 PM
That's 2 grand US. And he said he only played one table. Are you sure you're not talking about play money? :P

AncientPC
10-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Most people here are critical of people moving up so fast because it's usually new players too full of themselves, and they're either lying or they'll bust out soon.

But honestly, if you can go from €100 to ~€1600 single tabling .25/.50 one week, and then to ~€3500 the following week single tabling I'd keep playing the rush and see how far I can take it. However at the same time, I would not expect this to last indefinately, you will eventually either plateau out or drop horribly.

As long as you can afford to take the risk and lose this money, I would keep going until I take a big hit. Don't try to win it back at that level you lost the money at though, swallow your ego and drop back down to a more comfortable level.

eel
10-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the input,

Yes waffle and king, it really is real money. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know there are fluctations in poker, been reading some posts here. That's why i'm not withdrawing any of my money yet. I've never had this money, so of course I can afford to lose it, I see it as a tool to make more of those beautiful lil chips. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

To be honest I feel pretty confident against most opponents in the 1/2 rooms, if i'm not on tilt, which happens, I think I can beat most of them. I'm trying to avoid the sharks as much as possible, why play the best when you can bully the little guys. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AncientPC
10-10-2004, 01:38 PM
That's good. One big mistakes people do is after losing a lot of money, they try to go up in stakes to "win it back". Just don't fall into that mentality . . .

busguy
10-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeh, I've got to call Bullxxxx on this one.

$200 + euro a day for 7 days in the first week of playing at only a single table of .25/.5. Come on that's crazy. That is 400 + BB per day or 3000+ BB for the week

The $1/2 numbers quoted are not quite as ridiculous (150 BB per day . . or 1000 BB for the week) but have to be very close to the edge of the realm of possibility, just playing at a single table.

I think you are living in Fantasy land . . . but if I am wrong . . . then trust me you have a 0% chance of having these kind of numbers continuing over any length of time. If the numbers you give ARE true, then you have most likely come across the most incredible rush of cards that you will EVER experience in your Poker career.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif busguy

eel
10-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, the fact still is there, I did it. I guess i've had good cards, but I also had runs where I don't get a single pocket overpair or any 2 suited cards for like 5h.

I just hope I can reach my goal by the end of this week, if so I will take it easy with the poker for a while. Maybe play some 1/2 when I return, than try out 2/4. Seen a lot of bad plays there too. Around 11k € should be sufficient for that right?

waffle
10-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Withdraw enough money to get pokertracker and figure out your BB/100 to see if it's sustainable.

EliteNinja
10-10-2004, 07:05 PM
Wow, what kind of bot are you using, eel?!
That's incredible!

Took me like 2 months of 0.25/0.50 to get to $300 from $15 start, ~1h per day and I thought I had an awesome run.

I have to agree with busguy on this one.

- Vancouver is where it's at, bro.

busguy
10-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Yeh I still don't believe it, but this guy just cross posted this in the Internet forum and added that his levels (.25/.5 and $1/2) were NO LIMIT.

This extra bit of information would have been useful . . . but I still call BULLXXXX.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif busguy

Oh and yeah, Vancouver rocks

klagett
10-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Keep in mind he's talking about nl not limit.

blah you beat my post by 1 minute.

eel
10-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Yeh, sorry for not pointing that out more clearly, it's not bullshit, why would I post a lie here? Just wanted some input, and see if anyone else seen such a rush.

maryfield48
10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, the fact still is there, I did it. I guess i've had good cards, but I also had runs where I don't get a single pocket overpair or any 2 suited cards for like 5h.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is "5h" 5 hours or 5 hands? If the former, how the heck did you get the win rate you claim? If the latter, ROFLMAO! And what's a pocket overpair anyway?

dgoldsmith
10-11-2004, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And what's a pocket overpair anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
When you have TT and the board is 973 or you have KK and the board is QT4.

You have a "pocket pair" and it is higher than, or "over", the highest card on the board. So even if an opponent has paired the board, you have an over pair.

Now if the opponent flopped a set, you're in trouble. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

derick
10-12-2004, 11:29 AM
What sites are you playing at?

Would you say that your opponents were playing like idiots? Or would you say you were just outplaying them?

BradleyT
10-13-2004, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And what's a pocket overpair anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
When you have TT and the board is 973 or you have KK and the board is QT4.

You have a "pocket pair" and it is higher than, or "over", the highest card on the board. So even if an opponent has paired the board, you have an over pair.

Now if the opponent flopped a set, you're in trouble. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's called an overpair not a pocket overpair.