PDA

View Full Version : Early Game Seriously Lacking

Mattymar
10-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Lately I haven't been able to really get out of the gates in MTTs. I'm usually pretty solid early in tournaments but sense that my strategies may be lacking a little. Is it a good idea to play more drawing hands early in tournaments to see if you can catch something big or better to just play aggressively with premium hands or a combo of the 2? Any help on early tournament strategy would be appreciated.

Also, how do you deal with weaker low buy-in players who consistently play hands like A-7, A-8, or call big bet with 3-3. Picked those as examples because those are the last 3 hands to knock me out but in general how do you deal with those players early in tournaments?

ace_in_the_hole
10-10-2004, 04:06 AM
To deal with Loose players early in tournies, just play very tight, and aggresive when you do hit hands. The loose players will pay you off. If the play is tight at your table open up slightly and maybe try a semi-bluff on the flop every now and then.

AceKQJT
10-10-2004, 04:23 AM
In general, against the loose players you are talking about, you should be looking to make a completed hand. Pushing a bunch of chips into a multi-way pot with TPTK is giving money away.

In the early stages of the tourney, I play much looser pre-flop . I think this distinction should be made, because my postflop play is still very tight.

Just realize that 1 pair will rarely take down the pot when there's multi-way action.

--Casey