PDA

View Full Version : Hand quiz 2 from SSHE

10-10-2004, 01:16 AM
Hope i'm not breaking copyright laws here. For those that have it it's hand quiz 2 from the turn play section.

I'm not sure what the thought is here on the flop. The turn play and reasoning i understand (haven't put it here though), just don't understand the flop call.

You have 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the button. Three limp, <font color="blue">you raise</font>, SB calls, <font color="blue">BB reraises</font>. Two of the limpers fold but one calls. You call, and so does small blind (14 small bets).
Flop is J /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif The small blind checks, and the <font color="blue">BB bets</font>. The limper calls, you call, and the small blind calls (9 big bets).

I thought this would have been a raise or fold situation, you're either massively behind to big pair and don't have enough to draw to a 9, or you're ahead (assuming that the limper missed).

Or is this a situation similar to the TT situation where you want to see the turn card, and raise if it's a safe one/fold to a bad one?

If the BB didn't reraise pre flop (and just the 3 to the flop) and bet out on the flop like above, would it still be a call? Since it's more likely that he's betting with a jack?

I'm really struggling playing these mid pocket pairs /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ed Miller
10-10-2004, 05:20 AM
I thought this would have been a raise or fold situation, you're either massively behind to big pair and don't have enough to draw to a 9, or you're ahead (assuming that the limper missed).

Or is this a situation similar to the TT situation where you want to see the turn card, and raise if it's a safe one/fold to a bad one?

It's sort of similar to the TT situation. The pot is just too big to fold right now. You are getting 16-to-1, and there is a decent chance you still have the best hand. You can't afford to fold the best hand in a pot this big.

But there is also a decent chance you are woefully behind. And if you are, raising exposes you to an expensive 3-bet. The positive for raising is that it faces the small blind with calling two cold... but IMO that isn't enough upside in this situation to raise now. He may not fold two overcards anyway, since the pot is so large.

The point is, the pot is very large, and two of your three opponents have already "committed" to seeing the turn by betting and calling. So just call now and see what happens on the turn.

StellarWind
10-10-2004, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The positive for raising is that it faces the small blind with calling two cold... but IMO that isn't enough upside in this situation to raise now. He may not fold two overcards anyway, since the pot is so large.

[/ QUOTE ]
Besides, if BB is ahead you don't really care what SB does. Assuming you are ahead then BB probably has two overcards that he isn't going to let go of. Even if SB happens to have overcards they may overlap BB's overcards. You can only lose this pot once.