PDA

View Full Version : Impact of dead cards in Hold 'Em

Nate tha' Great
10-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Every now and then I make a post where I throw some [censored] out there and see if has any tracion. I'm going to try that again here, so feel free to chime in with your thoughts.

I went through a phase a while back in which I was playing a fair amount of Stud. One thing you learn very quickly in Stud is to consider the impact of dead cards; you know the identities of 7 cards on 3rd street, and more and more cards as they are revealed on the other streets, and these can have a huge impact on the correct decision at various points in the hand.

In Hold 'Em, you do not have this luxury, but it is sometimes possible to perform a probabilistic assessment of your opponents' likely range of holdings.

For example, suppose that you have 66, and are involved in the hand against two other opponents, both of whom are loose and fairly passive. One player has limped in EMP and the other player is in the BB. The BB is shortstacked, but plays conservatively. You are in the SB.

The flop comes T62 rainbow and the action goes: you bet, BB raises, EMP 3-bets, you cap and they both call.

On the turn, a blank falls, and the action goes: you bet, BB calls. EMP 3-bets. You cap. BB calls, putting him all in, and EMP calls. You now are now playing a side pot with

On the river, another blank falls. You bet and EMP raises again. You need to determine whether it is better to 3-bet or just call.

Suppose that you do not believe that you would get this kind of action from EMP unless he has a set, as he is ordinarily very passive. Since he can't have 66, he either has TT or 22, meaning that in the absence of other information you are exactly 50:50 to have a better hand than him. You also think that he will just call the 3-bet if he has 22 (we have said that he is conservative), but of course will cap if he has the nuts, which means that you would rather not 3-bet since you would lose 2 additional bets the half the time that you are behind and win 1 additional bet the half the time that you are ahead. In order words, you need to be a 2:1 favorite in order to justify the 3-bet.

However, you *do* have another piece of information available to you, which is that the BB liked his hand well enough to raise the flop, and then withstand a lot of action on the turn. Because he is ordinarily a passive player and because the board is drawless, you think there is a very strong likelihood that he has a T, which gave him top pair on the flop.

If BB does in fact have a T, then you are in a much stronger position against EMP. This is because there are now only two T's unaccounted for in the deck, providing EMP with just one way to have TT, versus 3 ways for 22. You are now a 3:1 favorite to have a better hand than EMP, and should go ahead at 3-bet, even at the risk of a cap.

This example is a bit contrived, and I suspect that, in general, there aren't a lot of examples in limit hold 'em in which the implied identity of dead cards makes a whole lot of difference.

In no limit hold 'em, the impact of dead cards is potentially more profound. Take a look at this post (http://http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1114050&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1) from the NLHE forum. Hero is faced with a close decision as to whether to call a large, all-in bet. One reason why I do *not* think that Hero should call is because of the impact of dead cards. Specifically, there is a good chance that one player has an underpair, and the other one also has AK or AQ. Hero needs to improve to beat the underpair (e.g. he needs to hit an A or a K). This is a bad situation for hero, not only because he may be drawing to a split, but also because there will be only 4-5 pairing cards in the deck, rather than 6.

Can anybody think of other examples in which dead cards could impact a hold 'em decision?

Is anybody getting anything at all from this?

-Nate

fyodor
10-09-2004, 11:36 PM
I think any other examples will be just as contrived as your own. You want to make a decision against Player A based on what you think Player B might be holding (or what Player B may have mucked in some examples)

I think the practial application of this to limit hold'em would be limited at best.

The value I do see in it is that thinking about stuff like this can only be good for your development as a player.

bonanz
10-10-2004, 12:25 AM
this is a funny post because i was just thinking about it earlier tonight while playing (although not as in depth).

but it involved me with an OESD on the flop with 2 diamonds with the Kd in my hand. The turn brought the third diamond and a very old passive man in front of me bet, with one player behind me, looking anxious to fold I sized up the pot thinking to myself, my oesd is probably drawing dead now since that old man bet, and if he bet and i draw for this diamond i have 7 outs not 9 (if i'm putting him on a made flush which i was.) so i counted it as if i only had 7 outs and called.

but after the hand i was thinking to myself if it was right to think about it like that although if i'm getting odds to call with 7 outs im getting odds for 9....

interesting post

mmcd
10-10-2004, 02:43 AM
I think about stuff like this as a matter of course when I play. I've never really bothered to flesh it out too much, but it definately gets plugged into the equation when I make my read (where's that post btw). Accurately guaging stuff like this is essential if you want to get maximum value out of somewhat marginal hands against over-aggro opponents, without becoming one of them.

umdpoker
10-10-2004, 02:57 AM
i think about this if i have a str8 using a pp. i am more likely to 3-bet or cap with it since there are only 2 more out there.

Noo Yawk
10-10-2004, 09:35 AM
Hi Nate,

A simpler example might be deciding to fold pre-flop when it's 3 bets to you and you hold AK. If a tight player raises upfront and is 3-bet from another tight player, there is a good chance that your cards are drawing dead, not only to make a pair, but to any broadway cards needed for a straight.

Post flop, it will help you detrmine your hidden outs such as gut shots as well board pairing outs. It's more a matter of hand reading and knowing your players, but it is a legitimate point. Nice post.

Vannek
10-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Wouldnt be more likely for the BB to have an overpair?It seems a bit much for just top pair

scrub
10-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=plnlpoker&Number=1118551&F orum=All_Forums&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main= 1118551&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=4317&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post1118551) is a NL post where the last player acting would have had the opportunity to use this sort of reasoning.

He knows that I have KQ because I didn't look upset when the guy with the set opened. So he could determine that he's drawing dead (.25)(.25) ~= 6% of the time and drawing with 66% of his usual pot equity 1-(.75)(.75) ~= 44% of the time.

I'm certainly not good enough at the arithmetic to make those decisions at the table and be sure that I'm making the right play when it's close and there are multiple streets left, but there are situations where you have a lot of information that you can use.

scrub