PDA

View Full Version : PL Hand question

02-24-2002, 01:30 PM
£1-£1 blinds, I'm UTG and straddle for £2. No raise anywhere, we see the flop with about 6 people. Flop is Q 5 7, I'm holding Q 7 for top two pair. Blinds check, I check, next player checks, then there's a pot-sized bet. I call, player directly after me call. See the turn of an offsuit 9 three-handed. I bet the pot which is about £40 here, get re-raised directly behind me for about £100 more, putting him all in. Initial raiser folds.

I had tangled with this player a lot this night, and had up until now been on the winning end -- he had two pair below my set twice. I thought for awhile and decided to call because I wasn't confident that I was beaten, and he turned over 6-8 suited for the straight. River was no help.

I'm fairly certain this was a bad call, but was it really a terrible call? I think he would have made this raise here with any two pair, and he was even capable of doing it with AQ in this circumstance.

By the way, starting monday at Russell Square in London we're going to post a notice to try and get a £50 minimum, £200 maximum buy-in No-limit ring game going. If you're from london and are interested, let Roy know and we'll see about getting the game started.

Thanks,

Ma

02-24-2002, 07:36 PM
The only way anybody can say this was a good call or a bad call is if they know the opponent, and were there to see what he was playing like at the time.

You were there, we weren't. As you describe it, it wasn't a bad call. If it was a bad call, then it's because you don't know or misread the player.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

02-24-2002, 08:59 PM
max i am wondering if a check raise for the pot ON the flop could have taken it right there. the 6-8 may not have had the stones to call you on a weak cheeseball str8 draw, but you would have to know the player. I mean, you were made on the flop and he was not. That's a judgemnt call that's determined mostly by the tendency of the opponent.

If an opponent calls, however, look closer at the flop, and find the missing connectors. that'll make your decision easier