PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6: K9s defense that becomes a slugfest...

chesspain
10-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

No read on this opponent.

Preflop: chesspain is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, chesspain calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">chesspain raises</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue">HEFAP recommends usually betting out rather than checkraising here, although I chose to checkraise because: 1) I thought my opponent would have a difficult time calling without an ace, and 2) I forgot the advice from the book /images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font>

Turn: (4.16 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, chesspain calls.

River: (8.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
chesspain checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, chesspain calls.

<font color="blue">Is it foolish to believe that there is at least a 15% chance that my opponent doesn't have an ace, and maybe has instead a hand like QQ/JJ/QT/JT etc? </font>

JimRivett
10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
He doesn't need an ace to win, just a better king.

I'm not sure about the call from the big blind, it's very much player dependent.

Regards, Jim

Michael Davis
10-09-2004, 08:17 PM
NH. River is, as you perceive, close. I like your call, although I think he's got an ace.

I like to threebet preflop and bully from there. You can usually get a more accurate read on your opponent in this situation, too.

-Michael

chesspain
10-09-2004, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't need an ace to win, just a better king.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you assume that KQ/KJ would raise this turn?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure about the call from the big blind, it's very much player dependent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I don't play shorthanded games, I would imagine that unless your opponent is a complete rock that K9s has to be an easy call from the BB.

TRWIII
10-09-2004, 08:21 PM
From the BB with just the button raising on what may very well be a steal, I'm calling with K9s most of the time (and if I had more of a suspicion of a steal, I would have reraised it and lead out on practically any flop.

As it was played, I would have led out the flop, but the checkraise is alright if you think that it has a chance to make him fold on the flop or the turn.

I call the river too. Its a decent sized pot, and theres a decent chance your good. It's close, but I call.

Just my 2 cents,

TRWIII

JimRivett
10-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Why do you assume that KQ/KJ would raise this turn?

I really don't think he has KQ or KJ, I neglected to put this /images/graemlins/wink.gif next to my statement. I think he has an Ace.

I would imagine that unless your opponent is a complete rock that K9s has to be an easy call from the BB.

Perhaps, I would still like to have some profile on my opponent.

Regards, Jim

chesspain
10-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Opponent showed A /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/heart.gif for the very dominating royal boat, and MHING.

P.S. I hate it when people actually have hands when they are stealing! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Trix
10-10-2004, 07:45 AM
I dont like the flop check-raise because it doesnt really help you much. People tend to call down with very little when the board is twotone and it opens up for a turnraise, assuming that you bet the turn, which you will.
If he is aggro, his range will be something like Ax,JT+,some suited connecters/one-gabbers, pairs, some suited kings.
So, you need to figure out how much of that you can make him fold, how much action it takes and if itīs worth it considering his other hands.

I dont think betting or check-raising the flop will help you much as he probably wont even muck underpairs, missed broadway.

He may do this on the turn though, so the questions is whether to bet or check-raise.
Another factor will be how often he will 3bet if you check-raise.
Since the turn was an A, he will probably 3bet when he has it alot and dont believe you much when he dont.

He will probably fold total missed hands, like Kx(no gut), 76s and such, but raise you with alot of hands too, either cuz he likes his hand or cuz he wants a free showdown.

So anything you gain by betting or check-raising this turn, you can probably gain by betting out on the river when you miss anyway and you get another bet in when he bluffs again with KQ.

The river coming a K makes betting a valuebet, rather than a bluff, since we thought he would call with any pair. I fold to a raise.

If he is tighish with his preflop button raises, but loose postflop, then it favors taking a passive route on the first streets even more and most of the 3/6 players seem to be imo.

imitation
10-10-2004, 09:59 AM
SH player commenting here, but if a blind steal even crossed my mind i'd 3bet K9s preflop...oh and I'd much prefer to lead out at this flop.

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-10-2004, 11:50 AM
In these situations at Party 3/6 (and they seem to be happening more often), I will almost always three-bet preflop and lead out on the flop. Party SS players like to try to steal, but rarely have the testicular fortitude to continue pushing when you come over the top, then bet out. When this guy did keep pressing, I'd have probably check-called it down. Party looneys will often keep pressing with any pair in this situation (I know I have /images/graemlins/blush.gif).