PDA

View Full Version : Raising speculative hands in multiway pots.

Entity
10-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Hope this post belongs here, guys -- I'm not sure whether it'd be better in poker theory or in an area like here. I trust a lot of the players here, and it seems suited to games like 4/8 live or some of the 2/4 and 3/6 online games, so I'd like to pose the question here though. The table is looose preflop and relatively passive postflop. Often hands are seen 6-way for two bets preflop, and people will call with oddball and longshot draws all the time.

Anyway, enough justification.

You're in a very loose, very good live 4/8 game, and are in the CO with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. 6 limpers to you. What's the appropriate action? Button is semi-loose but has decent preflop coldcalling standards, and the blinds are loose.

I know JTs has a very slight edge over 6 random hands and plays well multiway. Do you raise this to buy the Button and exploit the (small) edge you have over these other hands? Or is JTs not quite enough hand to try this with?

Now, same situation, but you're on the Button. No need to raise to try to buy the button. Do you raise because of the edge JTs has in a multiway pot, to build a good pot for a multiway hand and a good postflop player, or do you limp? Is JTs a good enough hand that you can justify cutting your implied odds in half, assuming most of the players are semi-passive postflop?

Adding to the question: what hands do I want to be making this raise with? QJs? What pocket pairs do I want to raise here, in the CO? What about on the Button?

Anyway, I appreciate any comments I get. I've seen more of this sort of play in SS than in the micros (where I frequent), and I'd like to learn more about it.

I'm off to pick up my copy of HEPFAP. It's about time I read that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

sublime
10-09-2004, 02:42 PM
CO with 6 limpers? EASY raise

Same with the button.

You have a very nice equity edge here bro.

If the game is really loose/passive and players will call two with hands they would have called one with I raise JTs UTG.

Entity
10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO with 6 limpers? EASY raise

Same with the button.

You have a very nice equity edge here bro.

If the game is really loose/passive and players will call two with hands they would have called one with I raise JTs UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
I love your equity posts, just for the record. Did you learn most of that through experience, or just tooling around with PokerStove?

What's the cutoff for hands you raise here in the CO? Raise 55? 33? /images/graemlins/smile.gif (This would be parroting off of CDC's move to raise preflop to get a free look at the turn, I think). From what I've seen here, QTs is an easy raise, but T9s isn't, right?

Rob

Piiop
10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
You also get free cards when you raise.

Entity
10-09-2004, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You also get free cards when you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Especially in games that are passive postflop. Forgot to mention that benefit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've never really tried this with JTs, but I've started to see how it could be beneficial in some of these games.

How many limpers do I need for this to be profitable?

Rob

Piiop
10-09-2004, 02:55 PM
I don't know....a few?

sublime
10-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I love your equity posts, just for the record. Did you learn most of that through experience, or just tooling around with PokerStove?

-Ed Miller
-PokerStove (hugely underrated IMO, but its not a poker godsend either)
-These forums
-Lots of reading (JTs UTG is from Inside The Poker Mind, although I had been doing that before I read that /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

What's the cutoff for hands you raise here in the CO? Raise 55? 33? (This would be parroting off of CDC's move to raise preflop to get a free look at the turn, I think).

Raising with PP's on the button or CO is very game dependant. I like to do it in live games with loose/passive players who I pretty much KNOW will check to me on the flop. Online is more aggressive on the whole so I dont really do it, but CDC and GoT seem to like it.

From what I've seen here, QTs is an easy raise, but T9s isn't, right?

I would raise T9s here, shoot maybe even 98s /images/graemlins/cool.gif

6 limpers? Damn thats a wet dream with a large suited hand/connector.