PDA

View Full Version : what's a reasonable streak for sngs?

Allinlife
10-09-2004, 12:17 PM
I know 200~300bb is resonable streak for limit, but how about for sng? I am currently down 7.5 buyins..so just wondering..

I played 40(10+1pp) so far, and placed in 6 /7th 40%
of the times /images/graemlins/blush.gif
I think the my leak is that I am going ai with marginal hands like KTs/Q9o/Axs/A7+ from all positions given no raise before me. is this a bad play?
have I misunderstood the >10bb = ai marginal hands on SNG FAQ? do you only do this when there are less than 6 people?

sorry for trouble number of questions, but I am beginning to lose confidence in my game /images/graemlins/frown.gif please help me out.

thanks!

wow that's alot of questions /images/graemlins/tongue.gif thank you

The once and future king
10-09-2004, 12:45 PM
You need to stop playing SNG's immediately right now and wait for someone to answer your post properly.

I would but am so overwhelmed by your misunderstanding of basic principles I wouldnt know where to start.

You should have 0 confidence in your game. Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is the cold truth and said for your benefit.

nsj
10-09-2004, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the my leak is that I am going ai with marginal hands like KTs/Q9o/Axs/A7+ from all positions given no raise before me. is this a bad play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Each instance is unique, so without knowing stack sizes and the blind level it's tough to say decisively which is a bad play. Pushing from UTG with Q9o when you have 1000 chips and the blinds are 25/50 is terrible. Push 7A from the button, when it's folded to you, and you have less than 8-10 BB, is ok.

I think a run of not making the money for 6-10 in a row is not terrible, PROVIDING that the big hands knocking you out or crippling you are "bad beats" in the sense that you got your money in with the best of it, or lost with kings to aces, set over set, etc... Cards do happen.

Post some hand histories of critical hands, and you'll get better feedback, but I find my success in SnGs comes from sitting back patiently, playing great hands very aggressively and letting others gamble with the marginal stuff.

The once and future king
10-09-2004, 01:08 PM
You have to understand how hand strenghts relatively increase in relation to how many players are to act after you and the size of the stacks to act after you.

You cant push all in with A7o with 9-5 other players to act after you, this is suicide.3-4 players is very marginal and would depend greatly on stack sizes and blinds etc. However if there are just 1 or 2 players to act after you and you are say less 10xBB (I dont use that rule I use a lower multiplier) then all in is obligatory,

This is because A7o is statisticaly not likely to be better than 9 ranodom hands but is likely to be better than 2 random hands.

It is not how many are left necesarily but how many are left to act after you.

Also Q9o is not a marginal hand it is junk unless you are realy desperate.

citanul
10-09-2004, 04:49 PM
What no one has mentioned here is the answer to the question you appear to be asking.

You appear to be asking what the number of buyins required to play SNGs is. The answer is, well, in the FAQ. A winning player should probably feel comfortable with a 25-30 buyin bankroll. I personally try not to play with less than 35 or 40, but that's just me, Mr Risk Aversion, or something.

Now, the rest of your post does not seem to be asking this. The rest of your post seems to say "I think I may be a losing player, help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong."

If you are a losing player, if you have any non-infinite bankroll, you will lose it all given time. It is highly likely that you are a losing player.

Read, play, read. Post questions. Read, play, read. Repeat.

Try to post specific questions instead of questions of the form "I'm losing what am I doing wrong?"

good luck

citanul

citanul
10-09-2004, 04:52 PM
In response specifically to the play you ask about:

Yes, that's a terrible play. Absolutely goddamn [censored]ty.

Yes, you have misunderstood what you read.

The advice given is situational, not "do this every time."

You should indeed, as stated in another place, have no confidence in your game.

You should write out "all in" instead of ai. That's annoying.

citanul

RacersEdge
10-09-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have I misunderstood the >10bb = ai marginal hands on SNG FAQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you flipped a sign there....

J.A.Sucker
10-09-2004, 09:55 PM
It's pretty hard to lose more than about 2500 playing 200 SNG's. I'd be very comfortable w/ 5000. This is 23 buy-ins. If you play smaller tournaments, you could get by on less, since people play much worse. If you find yourself swinging a lot more than that, then you have serious problems in your game.

ilya
10-09-2004, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you have misunderstood what you read.

The advice given is situational, not "do this every time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a bit harsh, man. A lot of advice from good players on these boards is very easy to misunderstand for an inexperienced player. Mostly because some assumptions have become so basic for those good players that they assume everyone shares them.

stupidsucker
10-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Im learning that swings can be fairly vicious at SnGs. Its hard to lose a lot of money at any given streak, but even swings over a 200 SnG roller coaster ride are not going to be non-existant if you play enough.

I honestly think that you need 1500-2000 SnGs at ONE level playing the same game to know your true roi.(within a few %)

Allinlife
10-10-2004, 12:12 AM
thanks so much for responses guys.. I appreciated.
I think I was too excited with my winnings from couple of weeks ago that I got ignorant and blamed many stuff on luck, when treuly, it was bad play.

thanks for the unkind words, it woke me up /images/graemlins/smile.gif
I will be posting and bug you people on this forum from now on, so get ready;)

oh before I start to post handhistories, here is a situation I often find my self in. Could you tell me what the ideal play style i'm looking for in following situation?

5 people left, 2 big stacks (2.5k+), 1 (1.5k) and 2 others in my position with around 900. blinds are 50/100, and within 5 hands it will be 100/200.

is this an allin or fold situation? if so, what kind of hands should I be doing it with in EP, and LP>?

thanks. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

stupidsucker
10-10-2004, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
is this an allin or fold situation? if so, what kind of hands should I be doing it with in EP, and LP>?

[/ QUOTE ]

for the most part this is an all in or fold situation with very rare exceptions. You do want to wait for a good hand and/or position when you go though. EP you should play fairly tight, late you can steal with some decent hands but I think you still need to play tightly in LP at this point with any limpers/raiser ahead of you.