PDA

View Full Version : Hand reading?

07-26-2001, 12:15 PM
As I understand it, being able to put someone on a hand, whether I make them for second best (netting me money) or I make me for second best (saving me money), reading a person's hand is crucial for long term profitablity.

My question is this: Is there any way to generalize this, or does it all come down to feel and experience?

For example, Assuming a loose low limit game where I just sat down and have no experience with any of the players. I've got QsQc in late position. Two limpers, I raise, both blids and limpers call. Five to see the flop: Ks 8h 9h

Now, if I'm not mistaken this is a horrible flop for me. Any K + good kicker will come out betting, especially Kh, and maybe any Kx. Most flush/straight draws I would assume will call, and if checked to them may bet.

So assume for my example SB checks, BB bets, first limper folds, second limper calls. Now, raise, call, or fold? What should my thought process be when deciding if I'm an underdog against a pair of Kings or if I should punish those on a draw?

My thinking: From what I know, calling is not an option. Either fold now fearing a K, or raise to punish the underdog draws. Against a K, I've only got two outs. How do I put these people on a hand?

07-26-2001, 02:42 PM
We have discussions of reading hands in some of our books. To start you should look at the hand reading chapters in The Theory of Poker and Hold 'em Poker For Advanced Players. Then when you are playing, constantly think about the hand in action applying the techniques in these books.

07-27-2001, 04:16 PM
"My question is this: Is there any way to generalize this, or does it all come down to feel and experience?"

I think it is a combination of logical reasoning and experience. The hand reading techniques that Mason refers to in his books all come down to looking at the player and his actions and deducing what he holds. Piece together a player's action over the course of a hand -- reconstruct it -- and then combine it with what you know about that player. That's how you put him on a hand, or more accurately, a narrow class of hands.

Your hand reading skills will be of little, if any use with poor, low-limit players. These players often have no rationale basis for their actions, so it is hard to put them on hands. Moreover, they don't act consistently and they play widely different hands in similar ways.

You have to gain experience, particularly with a specific player, in order to be able to read his hand accurately.

Jon I. Jon I.