PDA

View Full Version : 88 with overcards on the flop, how hard to push?

sin808
10-09-2004, 05:49 AM
wickedly nice table, I'm up about 50bb in 2 hours, only one other decent player at the table. loose passive goodness.

reads: nothing on specific players worth noting here. If the boards scary they'll fold to a bet, but will call down with pretty much anything pretty on a raggedy board.

Which street did I miss my bet on? turn, river or both?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (7.25 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 7.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 7.25 BB, between MP1, Hero, CO and UTG+1.</font>

btspider
10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
I would limp preflop if the CO or Button is loose. You need to buy the button for this raise to be worth it (free showdown/card later on most boards) since you will at best end up with 2-3 opponents. Worse, your opponents are loose and you will not be able to fold them easily when you likely miss your set.

Given the board texture and not owning the button, you could be behind when called in several places, but a free card is pretty bad to give if you want to see the showdown. I would say bet the turn if you intend to showdown. Check the turn if you will fold to any river action besides:

check-check-check-bet-fold-fold-Hero calls closing action against one opponent.

I think this tough situation was caused by the PF raise, but I may be looking at this hand in hindsight /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bisonbison
10-09-2004, 10:46 AM
I would limp preflop.

sin808
10-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Normally I would limp with this, but I've been having excellent luck at isolating utg+1 and mp1 and raping them financially for the last hour so I thought it was worth a shot. Unfortunately it didn't pan out this time around. All the callers on the flop threw me off and I checked the turn expecting someone to bet at the river with their weak K. Didn't happen though, my 8's were good in the end, but it definitely didn't play out the way I had planned (do they ever?).