PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Trip Post #4: Dealing with multiple straddles

DrewOnTilt
10-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Post #4 from my Vegas trip.

Two questions in one regarding multiple straddles

1) How should I adjust my preflop and postflop strategy in the face of multiple straddlers? In this particular game, two guys would straddle, and one would raise blind. I basically played my cards the way I would have played anyway, but one drawback that I saw is that it was tougher to determine the correct post-flop play when I had either outs or the 2nd best hand.

2) In this example, I would like to know if my turn raise was a good play, given the scary board:

Live $4-$8 game
Hero has the button with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG straddles, UTG+1 double straddles, 4 callers, Hero calls, SB raises blind, UTG caps blind, all call

Flop J /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG bets, 3 callers, Hero calls, 3 callers

Turn: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked to CO. CO bets, Hero raises, a whole bunch of folds, MP1 calls, CO calls

I raised to try to drive out the preflop straddlers. I had noticed that the straddlers would abandon most hands on the flop or turn, and I wanted to get them out. However, CO was a tight-aggressive player, and I suspected that I was raising with the 2nd-best hand.

Anybody else play the turn differently?

lostinthought
10-09-2004, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I raised to try to drive out the preflop straddlers.
Anybody else play the turn differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I play the turn similarly, but for different reasons.

You might already have the best hand, if you don't improve to the best hand.
With that assumption, you raise to put more money in the pot, because of your pot equity.

fsuplayer
10-09-2004, 09:54 AM
raise preflop. raise the flop. raise the turn.

fsuplayer

DrewOnTilt
10-09-2004, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise preflop. raise the flop. raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I see that I missed some value bets on the flop by not raising, but raise preflop?

Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif is speculative at best. If this is a value raise, okay - but could somebody post me some numbers showing that raising QTs in late position with 6 callers is a +EV play?

These guys would have capped it blind anyway, so raising preflop in this situation would not have gained anything more. For future reference, would the preflop raise be an advisable play?

fsuplayer
10-09-2004, 07:52 PM
If they would have def. capped pf then calling is okay. You are going to have a huge multiway pots with one of the better hands you can have in a multiway pot. Plus if you reraise, you might get people in between to fold QJo and K10o, cleaning up your outs.

If i am in a limit game and 4 or more people limp to me I am raising this one the majority of the time. You should be raising any two suited cards 10 or higher, and most PP's, all for value in this type of situation (without the straddle even). its even on page 83 of SSHE if you want to see it from Mr. Ed.

fsuplayer

DrewOnTilt
10-10-2004, 02:33 AM
cool, thanks. Just bought SSHE but haven't yet reached p. 83. Better get reading /images/graemlins/grin.gif