PDA

View Full Version : KQo stars in a Harrowing Tale of guile and deceit...

mantasm
10-09-2004, 03:55 AM
CO in this hand is a 2+2er, though I didn't know it at the time. He was a TAG in my notes. I thought this hand was interesting because of the cold call preflop.

What do you put him on? How would you play this given your read?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (9.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BYOB

doughhater
10-09-2004, 04:01 AM
I would put him on A /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif based on the actions. It seems like he made a bad call preflop, and then another on the river.

Cerril
10-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Hard to say, but I'd expect to see YHIG here, unless your notes show his VP$IP/PFR being low enough (or his CCPF high enough) that you might expect him to CC with AQ. The lack of a raise on the river is the only reason though, until that point it might be something very unpleasant.

Of course, you might have him believing you have AA/KK, but he might be holding 98-JTc... I would not at all be surprised to see two clubs here, maybe Axc (so A9/A8 unless he just called on the river out of spite)

Anyway, very straightforward,I'd play it the same way but I'm often wrong. What were your plans if he raised the turn, by the way?

mantasm
10-09-2004, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What were your plans if he raised the turn, by the way?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be pretty close. A turn raise from a presumably reasonable player might scare me off. I might have to call down. I'm really not sure, and knowing what he had makes it harder to answer objectively.

Freudian
10-09-2004, 05:09 AM
I'd put him on AQo. He gets worried about you having a 7 on the flop and decides to call it down.

Ajax410
10-09-2004, 05:29 AM
I think a 2+2er will 3-bet AQ in CO against a lone raiser - unless Hero has been playing a particularly tight style of poker...which I doubt considering the UTG raise with KQo

Freudian
10-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Hero raised UTG so perhaps he gave his raise too much credit (of course if you give an early raiser so much credit why call at all)? Perhaps he had KQs and it was a split pot?

I'm mostly looking at what makes sense post-flop rather than preflop though.

chesspain
10-09-2004, 08:15 AM
If opponent is a solid-playing TAG, then based on his play for the entire hand I would think he would only have one of the following:

K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
A /images/graemlins/club.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif
A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Given that I can't imagine him calling with a busted draw or folding any hand with a Q in it, I wonder how much value there is to a river bet?

sthief09
10-09-2004, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If opponent is a solid-playing TAG, then based on his play for the entire hand I would think he would only have one of the following:

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's a solid player he'll cold-call with none of these in a 7 handed game

StellarWind
10-09-2004, 10:45 AM
I think the 2+2'er coldcalled preflop with a pocket pair to draw to a set. Maybe TT, possibly a small one. Remember there was an intervening caller preflop.

I would play the hand the way you did. I would not fold to a turn raise for fear it was a free showdown play exploiting the paired board (hoping I fold AK or even JJ and charging a flush draw the maximum price).

"Yo dudes, new name"? Do we know you as someone else?

chesspain
10-09-2004, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if he's a solid player he'll cold-call with none of these in a 7 handed game

[/ QUOTE ]

It's possible that we're having some confusion over what constitutes a "solid player." I mean, if he's really a "solid player," then with what hands is he coldcalling third in from the CO?

sthief09
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
good point, though I'd really expect most players to raise with these hands here, maybe mucking KQo, and calling with something like ATs, A9s, etc. if he does in fact have AQ, then he's weak, not solid. someone suggested A9s, which is about the only hand that I'd say he played pretty well.

mantasm
10-09-2004, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Given that I can't imagine him calling with a busted draw or folding any hand with a Q in it, I wonder how much value there is to a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this after I played the hand. I probably should have check called the river, since he may bluff his draw.

mantasm
10-09-2004, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
would not fold to a turn raise for fear it was a free showdown play exploiting the paired board

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you call down or reraise? or maybe call and bet the river?

[ QUOTE ]
Do we know you as someone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not, I had a few posts as "atomicbran", mostly in micro.