PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars 3+0 MTT hand Analysis

LethalRose
10-09-2004, 12:13 AM
This is relatively early in the tournament..no reads are people are coming and going pretty quick.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed)

BB (t1370)
UTG (t3140)
UTG+1 (t1850)
MP1 (t2100)
MP2 (t3640)
MP3 (t4610)
CO (t2390)
Button (t1360)
Hero (t1440)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t30, CO folds, Button calls t30, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, BB calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60, MP3 calls t60, Button calls t60.

Flop: (t450) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t510</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls t510, Button folds.

Turn: (t1470) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t840 (All-In)</font>, MP3 calls t840.

River: (t3150) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3150

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Kh Qd (two pair, kings and queens).
MP3 has Ks 7s (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP3 wins t3150. </font>

Right when the guy calls me i notice he has a big stack..so he may draw. I think people who have a very large stack at this point of the tournament are either getting really good cards or they are a maniac. this is was the 2nd hand i got worth playing..the other being QJs i folded to 2 raises infront of me (turned out AA vs KK)

Comments? I think the only thing i could of done was go all in on the flop to make the guy fold..however if a pot sized bet doesnt make him fold an all in probably wouldnt either..that was my thinking. I didnt put him on a flush draw since i had raised 3xbb. maybe with so many limpers i should of raised more? after the turn do I check/fold here?

This is my first MTT, i recently got into them after no success in party's SNG. my tight style just makes it to difficult to win consistently..

augie00
10-09-2004, 02:03 AM
One of the worst possible cards came on the turn and THEN you shoved it in? After your opponent calls such a massive overbet of the pot on the flop, you should just assume that your hand is no good and be prepared to check-fold on the turn unless you improve.

Also, get used to just completing the small blind with a hand like KQo this early in the tour.nament Out of position, it is pretty terrible. In fact, it's not all that good when you're in position. Early in the tournament you should be looking to protect your chips and move up slowly. Getting involved in big pots with marginal hands is a recipe for disaster. The blinds are still tiny and you have a million orbits before you need to make something happen. Save the chips for a better spot.

Percula
10-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Was this the $3 rebuy for the Sunday $250K or just the $3 nightly?

If it was the rebuy it makes more sense. People play wild in the rebuy, especially if they have good implied odds like a flush or straight draw versus your likely TP or trips.

If it was the nightly, well then nuts and cards happen. But frankly I would not risk my whole stack with TP.

LethalRose
10-09-2004, 04:57 AM
it was the nightly $3. I dont think i want to play rebuy's, just promotes maniacs..

Percula
10-09-2004, 05:21 AM
The PS rebuys tend to be very good for TAG players. You can take advantage of the maniacs pushing with TPTK, calling all-ins with Ax and the like. It is just amazing some of the wild (yet profitable) play in these.

Since you are into the SnG games, these would be a good deal. You unjoin the Sunday and have T$ to play SnG with. Try one sometime and see how you do.

LethalRose
10-09-2004, 05:27 AM
well i played some pokerstars SnG's and i like the format a lot betteras it tends to favor tighter play..so far ive played 3 and have placed 3-3-4. I really didnt get any good hands but survived by stealing and doubling up a few times with A/x shortstacked.

Im still debating between SnG's and MTT's right now..

Im not exactly sure how to take your advice..You think i should Play SnG's ? not sure what you meant by "unjoin the sunday" or do you mean i should play a few SnG's while playing in a PS rebuy?

its late..

Percula
10-09-2004, 08:42 AM
When you play a satilite for the Sunday, you are automatically entered into it for $215. When you withdraw your account is credited with those touramnet dollars (T$215) which can be used to enter any other tourament, e.g. SnGs. So if you are a good SnG player, you can increase your BR quite a bit by playing two or three of the rebuys and then take the money won in SnG and have some cash. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

betgo
10-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Yes, you don't like to see the 3 flush card on the turn, but you are kind of pot-committed with top pair, so I don't think it was bad to bet the rest of the chips.

DVO
10-09-2004, 10:04 AM
I would like to reinforce the earlier comment - limp w/ KQ here. It's a nice hand to see the flop cheaply with, esp out of position. But with multiple people in the pot, your raise instantly turned the hand into a 'risk your stack' proposition. The pot was ~T420 preflop....so reasonable sized bets thereafter will shortly consume your stack if you hang around.

On this hand you should have completed pf for t30; then your pot sized bet on the flop would be around 120; and when the spade hits on the turn, you have to slow / shut it down.

So maybe you lose 10% of your stack, max.

Re your other comment about your tight style causing you trouble, maybe you should post more hands. Playing tight aggressive should not be hurting you at SNG's, or any other game for that matter. This hand wasn't at all played 'tight', fyi.