PDA

View Full Version : Cap this river against a LAG?

el_grande
10-09-2004, 12:05 AM
UTG was a LAG. He'll raise with weak draws, 2nd pair, etc.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG caps</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.75 BB

sluttysteve
10-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Does he cap pre-flop with crappy hands too? I'd start worrying at the point of the turn checkraise, and call it down. Did he show you AA/KK?

el_grande
10-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Anybody else?

JDErickson
10-10-2004, 02:01 PM
No I don't. Most LAG's don't CR the river with junk. I just call here

nepenthe
10-10-2004, 02:36 PM
You must realize that this is completely player-dependent. There exist different subsets of LAGs who play differently preflop and postflop: PAS pre/AG post, AG pre/PAS post, AG pre/AG post up to the flop then gets sane on later streets, and so on.

There are situations where capping this river in your situation is a profitable line, but I must tell you it is rare. Most LAGS, even maniacs, tend to slow down at the river if shown continuous aggression. If you have seen him push a marginal hand this strongly before, sure. Otherwise, you'd be overplaying your hand.

Personally, I call down after he check-raises the turn unless he is prone to playing TP or worse in this manner. And this is coming from someone who played against a certified maniac heads-up with QQ, capped preflop, smooth-called an Ace-high flop and capped the turn without having hit my set and bet the river. He called with bottom pair, something like K3s. I played this way because I was fairly confident of my read, and even then this was a marginally profitable play if at all.

el_grande
10-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the replies.

LAG turned over J /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif for the river 2-pair.

So the real question I had with this hand was do LAGs continue to remain LAGs at the river? When I get into a hand with somebody who has been 3-betting postflop with gutshots I tend to keep raising with an overpair on a safe looking board without thinking about it, assuming I'm against a total idiot.

Lesson learned here for me is that LAGs are probably not going to be so crazy on the river.

mplspoker
10-11-2004, 01:19 AM
What not just call on river? You have one pair on river when raised always call or fold. Raise??? Unbelievable. You have some learning to do.

el_grande
10-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Umm, the guy capped preflop with J5s.

Essentially he was an automatic raiser for at least 20 mins before this hand, including 3-betting with king high and no draw a couple of times.

I agree, not the right play but not as incorrect as you might think. I would say he would bet out on the river or even 3-bet with AJ, KJ, or QJ.