PDA

View Full Version : I hate know-it-alls... (some advice needed)

Cubswin
10-08-2004, 10:02 PM
So i pull into my apartment complex this evening and gather my belongings from my car and as I start walking to my building and I am met by some resident i have never met who asks, "do you live here?". I of course answer in the affirmative and he then proceeds to tell me that I am breaking the law because I have an Illinois license plate and am a resident in Virginia. I politely tell him I can not register the car in Virgina to which he quickly asks "are you military?"... "no"...."are you a student?"... "no". He remarks in an snide tone "that is called tax evasion... you are avoiding some $1000 in tax". I tell him i can not register the car in VA because i am not the title holder of the car and he walks away.

OK... so am right or wrong here? Do i have to register a car i dont own? It is registered in my mom's name in IL and all vehicle and sticker fees are UTD there so this shouldnt be a problem... correct? Im just worried that this pin-dick is going to phone the VA DMV because he seemed like the type who would do this.

cubs

Michael Davis
10-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Your reaction was civil compared to most.

I always hear that everyone is carrying a gun these days, but then some guy like this is able to make it to middle age (I assume). So not that many people are packing.

-Michael

daryn
10-08-2004, 10:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
He remarks in an snide tone "that is called tax evasion... you are avoiding some $1000 in tax".

[/ QUOTE ]

ha! imagine if he knew you were making thousands of dollars tax-free playing poker on the internet!

Ed Miller
10-08-2004, 10:16 PM
I politely tell him I can not register the car in Virgina to which he quickly asks "are you military?"... "no"...."are you a student?"... "no".

Not that this helps you now, but the right move here is to say yes and send him on his way.

It may depend on the state, but yes, it probably is illegal for you to own and operate the car in Virginia without registering it there.

Having said that, I'd be very surprised to see the DMV knocking on your door even if he does give them a call.

Wahoo91
10-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I hate people who refuse to mind their own business as well. I believe the law in Virginia has something to do with how many days a year it is in the state. And I believe this is administered by county, not by the state.

I could be wrong. The rules should be on your county personal propery tax website unless you go to Tech or some crap school like that in the middle of nowhere.

Ed: It will not be the DMV that knocks on the door but the county inspector. This actually happens a lot in Fairfax county (just outside of DC) and they will find you eventually unless your car in packed in an indoor garage most of the time.

HDPM
10-08-2004, 10:21 PM
You should have said "no" or not responded when he asked if you live there.

Once you answered the question assuming he was a decent person and he started in on you, it was a major mistake to give him any information. Never tell a stranger that much about yourself. If you are really an ass you could say something really stupid to shut him up. Like, "Dude, it's not even a car. What drugs are you on. It clearly is a spacecraft the Greys left here. Can you loan me some money so I can buy my medicine?" Something like that. Better just to say nothing about yourself and walk away.

And since you are in Virginia I assume you had a legally concealed weapon on you. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cubswin
10-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Your reaction was civil compared to most.

I was so taken back by the nerve of the guy coming up to me like that i couldnt even come up with a smart arse comment to come back at him with.... how come you can never come up with a good thing to say until after the fact?

middle age (I assume).

nice dart

So not that many people are packing.

I keep mine locked up in my apartment... though maybe i should start stowing it in my "illegally registered" vehicle. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nothumb
10-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Don't know about VA, but I've been pulled over in several other states while driving a car that was registered to my parents in a different state. This includes getting pulled over right near my house 3 times in college, telling the cop where I lived and explaining the circumstances. They let me go no problem. (I was pulled over for other stuff, not the plates.)

It doesn't matter. They'll never come after you for this, it's too hard to document anyway and most of them don't even give a dump. Unless the guy you were talking to works for the county or something, you are fine, and should poop on his vehicle and belongings whenever possible.

NT

Cubswin
10-08-2004, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And since you are in Virginia I assume you had a legally concealed weapon on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... but i will now. After i look into the DMV law ill look into the concealed weapons law in this godforsaken commonwealth.

Cubswin
10-08-2004, 10:29 PM
and should poop on his vehicle and belongings whenever possible

I would but i didnt see which car was his

daryn
10-08-2004, 10:37 PM
obv. the other one w/ the out of state plate.

Cubswin
10-08-2004, 10:45 PM
From the VA DMV website:

To register your vehicle in Virginia and obtain license plates, you must first title your vehicle within 30 days of moving to Virginia.....

For Out-of-State Vehicles you will need:

- Completed Application for Title and Registration, VSA 17A

- Title from your previous state of residence with your name appearing as owner, OR previous owner's out-of-state title signed over to you

- Current out-of-state vehicle registration

- Proof of your social security number

- Proof of purchase price, such as a buyer's order, bill of sale, or the seller declared sale price on the title certificate
----------------------------------------------------------

The way i read it i cant register the car because i dont have title. I should have just kept my mouth shut... I initially just thought the guy was being friendly.... this fugger really got under my skin.

cubs

cardcounter0
10-08-2004, 11:11 PM
It isn't your car. Your Mom owns it. It is your Mom's car. She has registered it in the State in which she resides. She has allowed you to use it, and I assume you are a valid licensed driver with insurance. End Of Story.

They might be able to gripe to your Mom, the owner of the car, about not registering it where she knows it is going to be used, but Virginia isn't going to send Barney Fife all the way to Illinois to talk to her about it, and Illinois isn't going to give a rip and screw themselves out of their taxes out of the goodness of their hearts.

jdl22
10-09-2004, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how come you can never come up with a good thing to say until after the fact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell him he must register with the Virginia jerk department. That would really get him.

astroglide
10-09-2004, 01:35 AM
ray, when someone asks if you're a god, you say YES

Diplomat
10-09-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ray, when someone asks if you're a god, you say YES

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, very nice.

-Diplomat

GWB
10-09-2004, 02:55 PM
If you live in VA next season, you will have to drop your allegiance to the Cubs and support the new Washington Red Inkers.

Kurn, son of Mogh
10-09-2004, 03:18 PM
I'd tell him my grandfather moved from Illinois to Virginia, just like I did, and he lived to be 97 years old.

When the guy asked if my grandfather didn't register his car in Virginia, I'd answer. "He didn't own a car, but he was smart enough to mind his own damn business." /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cubswin
10-09-2004, 03:56 PM
ding ding ding ding.... we have a winner. very nice dart.

Slacker13
10-09-2004, 07:26 PM
Now you know who the Head Condo Commando is. I doubt the DMV is going to pursue this but if you do ever get pulled over the police will definately make you register the vehicle if your a Virginia resident. Can you even register a car that's in someone elses name? I wouldn't think that was possible. Why don't you have your mom transfer ownership, seems it would be the best solution.

youtalkfunny
10-10-2004, 11:57 PM
My wife got a ticket dropping our kids off at school. The cop that we thought was there to direct traffic, and keep the kids safe, made note of all the cars with out of state plates on Day 1. On Day 31, she cited all the cars that were still coming every day.

But I'm sure that was targeting people who actually live out of state, and were bringing the kids over to the better school.

jagoff
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
From what I know and understand as a law abiding citizen here goes...you can get around most anything if you say you are working in a certain area ie. pulled over in Manassas, you have PA plates and you are going to Manassas to work so you tell the cop that is why your license and plates are PA. I had done this for years while living in Baltimore, Jacksonville, Raleigh and Cleveland. When I went home it just made more sense to spend the $15 to get my car inspected and $30 to register it. I know in Florida it was like $300 for a new plate if you were outta state. F uck that noise! Just say you are working in the area for a while and they should leave you alone!