PDA

View Full Version : Microlimit NL Hand

02-08-2002, 06:53 PM
.10/.25

I am in SB with Jh8h. Six players in game. Button (aggressive bettor who likes to overbet pot with strength) calls. I call and BB checks.

Button: $33

Myself: $28

BB: $15

Flop comes Kh Jd Th.

I decide to try to win more than just $.75. I just check, planning to raise. Button bets $2.

I know he has something, but I eliminate AQ because he raised with that earlier for value...has seemed to give too much action with top pair or overcards. AK, KQ seem unreasonable because he would've raised those too. But really, I feel like I'm just guessing here. I decide to try to win the pot immediately.

Here's the action:

I check.

BB checks.

Button bets $2.

I raise to $6.

BB folds.

Button raises to $10 (uh-oh).

I call.

I figure button for a range of possible hands, as bad as a single Q, as good as KJ or Q9. I don't think anything else seems possible. Maybe AA. I believe the straight draw is highly unlikely, so I'm losing to at least top pair right now, IMO.

Turn card 8c. Board is now Kh Jd Th 8c.

I've got 2 pair, Jacks and Eights.

I check again to see what happens...Button bets $4 into the $20 pot. I'm smelling weakness here, top pair only is now my read. I check raise all in for $18.

What do you think of my turn check-raise? Obviously, my analysis was that I might have the best hand now, might be able to get my opponent to fold KT or KJ, and if I am behind and called, I have at least 9 outs and as many as 13. Flame away.

Mojay

02-08-2002, 11:01 PM
"But really, I feel like I'm just guessing here. I decide to try to win the pot immediately."

"Button raises to $10 (uh-oh)."

"I don't think anything else seems possible. Maybe AA."

u don't win very often, do you?

02-08-2002, 11:15 PM
Nice flame. Very helpful. Please elaborate how you come to that particular observation, as it may help me learn how to win in the future.

Mojay

02-08-2002, 11:34 PM
LOL. you asked for flames. that was best i could do at the moment.

while i was reading your post i was groaning at your play because the whole time you were quessing that you might have the best hand, and if you didn't he might fold. this is not solid play.

if this guy is too aggressive, then just wait for a better opportunity to trap him. that's all there is to it. the blinds in these games are so small that patience is all it takes to win.

why put your money in when you "might" be winning when these players will gladly pay you off when you actually have a good hand?

i suggest you watch Gutshot96 play a few rounds...HE IS DA MAN!

02-09-2002, 03:03 AM
Hmmm...good point. Thanks for the clarification. I should no better than to say, "Flame away." I wonder though here how this fits into the raise or fold mentality so often professed as the #1 priority for no-limit games.

I had a flush draw and middle pair...then flush draw and two pair. Wouldn't this be a time for aggression? Or are the outs not enough because there is a good chance I am losing to the button here.

Mojay

02-09-2002, 01:47 PM
"I wonder though here how this fits into the raise or fold mentality so often professed as the #1 priority for no-limit games."

I think it's important that posters/readers of this forum don't lump all no-limit games into the same category. These microblind, max buy-in NLHE games on UB are not the same as live, big bet poker. The UB games play more like a 5/10 limit game with a $0.25 blind.

02-10-2002, 03:06 AM
Summary: Turn card 8c. Board is now Kh Jd Th 8c.

I check again to see what happens...Button bets $4 into the $20 pot. I'm smelling weakness here, top pair only is now my read. I check raise all in for $18.

River is the 8s. I take down the pot. My opponent never shows his hand, but he does type, "suckout".

Mojay

02-10-2002, 01:55 PM
"Here's the action:

I check.

BB checks.

Button bets $2.

I raise to $6.

BB folds.

Button raises to $10 (uh-oh).

I call."

For me, one of the most difficult lines to walk in NL is the one between positive and negative EV risk. I agree that winning $.75 is not that thrilling. That's not a bad attitude, but it only works for you when you have what figures to be the best hand. Not necessarily the nuts, but the best hand. Second pair with an eight kicker probably does not figure to be the best. Here, I think that the play is to bet right into the pot, and if you get raised, fold in turn. Perhaps better than this is to just check and fold. If this guys is overly aggressive, let him hang himself when you've got the goods. Pushing hands like this will wipe out hours of hard earned profit.

"Turn card 8c. Board is now Kh Jd Th 8c.

What do you think of my turn check-raise?"

I don't like this check raise. The reason is this: I think that you are only favored to win if he folds. Many many players, including myself, would lay down top pair (even with an Ace kicker) to this check-raise on a board like this one. I have to put him on a str8, a set, or at least, a better 2 pair. This is a great time to call. He has made the critical mistake of under betting the pot. For 4 dollars, you have the chance to make him pay for his greed.

Hope that helps!

-Marlow