PDA

View Full Version : Good Books on NL Holdem SNG's/Sattelites?

W00lygimp
10-08-2004, 08:34 PM
I remember seeing a post about someone recommending SuperSystem but i decided against purchasing it (my friend said it was a waste of money). Instead I bought NL Texas Holdem and Tournament Poker by Tom Mcevoy. Does anyone know any other decent good books for NL Holdem?

LA_Price
10-08-2004, 09:00 PM
read pot-limit no limit poker by reuben/ciaffone(especially section on stack sizes) as well as tournament poker for advanced players by sklansky.

AleoMagus
10-09-2004, 02:23 AM
New Players No Limit Hold'em is a good intro book.

This is by Cloutier and McEvoy or Brad Daugherty. I forget exactly as I do not actually own the book.

Anyways, it is basically a better, revised Champioship Hold'em aimed more at beginners to the game, with a more modern treatment of things like the internet.

This book also has a short adapted section from Championship satellite strategy aimed in part at SNG play. This is the first that I've actually seen SNG strategy discussed directly in a book (even if it is a small section and is also aimed at satellites)

Regards
Brad S

AleoMagus
10-09-2004, 02:25 AM
No-Limit Texas Hold'em : The New Player's Guide to Winning Poker's Biggest Game (The New Players Series)
by Tom McEvoy, Brad Daugherty

(Just checked it to be sure of the title and authors.)

Regards
Brad S

RobGW
10-09-2004, 05:19 AM
SuperSystem may be a bit outdated but is still worth the price. It is much better than NL HoldEm IMO.

AleoMagus
10-09-2004, 06:17 AM
I agree that supersystem is a great book, an possibly the best NL hold'em material avaliable for ring games of a certain type (deep stacks).

The problem is that applying this to tournament play, and especially SNG play, can be troublesome. Brunson advises a lot of moves which involve marginal hands like suited connectors and calling with large implied odds when the pot odds are not there at the time. He is interested in making BIG made hands that will crack overpairs and TPTK.

This is the way to really destroy a NL ring game with deep stacks, but very little of what is written in supersystem easily transfers to the middle/bubble stages of a SNG where all players might be sparring with about 10-20 BB or less.

Regards
Brad S

binions
10-09-2004, 01:06 PM
No books on how to play online one-table satellites which pay 3 spots.

The only book directly on satellites is McEvoy's "How to build a mountain out of a matchstick" book. But it is directed at one- and multi-table satellites that are qualifiers for tournaments, ie winner-take-all.

The Reuben/Ciaffone book is the best I have ever read on NL/PL play. Better than Super System. Better than Championship NL/PL Holdem. Better than NL for New Players.

The Sklansky book is quite good, but more geared to multi-table tourneys.

Reuben also has an instructive book called How Good is your Pot Limit Holdem. The examples help in NL play too.

AleoMagus
10-09-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No books on how to play online one-table satellites which pay 3 spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we'll be waiting too much longer for this.

I suspect that in the next year and a half we will see not one, but as many as three SNG specific books.

In a recent thread in the Books/Software forum, Mason mentioned that 2+2 will be looking at a SNG book from (I think) a 2+2 poster. He didn't say anything guaranteeing that 2+2 would take this project on, but even if they don't, I can say from my own inquiries that there are numerous publishers that would look seriously at something like this.

I've also been trying to get a book together in the past few months and had even planned to be finished by Sept at one point. That obviously didn't happen (writing a book is hard, who knew?) but I am still optimistic that I will have a book together by the new year. Depending on how much time I spend in the editing process and getting feedback, this could be avaliable as soon as Feb or Mar.

From speaking to publishers, I have also heard numerous things like "we have been approached about writing a SNG book" or "Individuals have proposed ideas which we are giving serious consideration."

So, even if I have a book ready by Feb 1, I'd really be surprised if I was the first.

On a related note, we also have the upcoming Dan Harrington tournament books that 2+2 is releasing. I think the first will be out before the new year and the second in that series will be out sometime next year. Actually, I'd recommend going to the Books/Software forum and checking out that thread. There is some exciting stuff in the works, including a book on NL.

Regards
Brad S

byronkincaid
10-09-2004, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason mentioned that 2+2 will be looking at a SNG book from (I think) a 2+2 poster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that was you. Maybe you should get that pen out your arse and finish off writing that damn thing /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually I can't work out if having books out on sngs will kill my ROI or increase the numbers of new fishy players. It would be a shame if someone beat you to it though. Good luck.