PDA

View Full Version : newbie questions

02-06-2002, 05:04 PM
I've been taking poker seriously for the last 8 months, so I'm still quite the newbie. I'm building a foundation in HE and O/8 while studying all the "good" books. Over the last couple hundred hours I'd been doing fairly well playing microlimit O/8 on Paradise. My newbieesque style is supertight and aggressive pre-flop, aggressive post flop and only draw to the nuts. The ultratightness tends to get boring and even 2.5BB and hour is only $2.50-$5.00 (don't get me wrong, I'm happy I'm winning!)

So I decided last weekend to seriously sit in the microlimit PL games online (I tried twice before and stupidly lost my stack rather quickly). Over about 25 hours, I'm up because of patience and ability to attack the clueless, but I'm lost, so here's my questions:

1. General knowledge: other than this forum, and Ciaffone's book, what are some good reading materials on pot limit play?

2. Game selection: I'm already able to recognize if I have an edge, but a couple of times I knew I was either the worst or second worst player at the table. With the relative dollar loss ($25 buy-in) is it worth it to play to get the experience? Also, if I know I can take advantage of just one or two players, does this constitute a good game?

3. Am I taking on pot limit too soon? Considering I'm a pure newbie with 8 months of poker study and mistakes are critical in this game, would I be better off getting a more solid foundation in o/8 and HE game fundamentals before taking on PL?

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Hammuh