PDA

View Full Version : One River Fold and One River Bet

rory
10-08-2004, 10:49 AM
River fold
20/40 Home game. The BB in this hand can be very tricky postflop but most of the time plays pretty straightforward-- he is too loose preflop for my liking.

I open raise in the CO-1 with KQo, he cold calls on the button and it's heads up. The flop comes T77, rainbow, and my bet is raised. The turn is another T and we both check. The river is a K and I check-fold.

River Bet
10/20 six-max on Party Poker. I am running over this table due to having pocket aces 4 times in the past 50 hands. I recieve KJo in the CO-1 and open raise. The button 3 bets and it is folded to me, I call. The button has been chatting for the past few minutes that he is going to get me and do I have a horseshoe up my butt and all of that stuff. The flop is KQ9, two clubs of which I have none of. I check raise and just call a 3 bet and check-call a blank turn. The river puts the 3rd club on the board. I bet.

DrGutshot
10-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Hey Rory-
Hand 1: I'm not a fan of the check-fold river... I would not expect to win this much more than 40% of the time, but there is enough money in the pot to call one here...you said he's loose preflop and tricky postflop, don't you think he could be betting KJ, 99, 88 trying to get a call from ace high? He certainly doesn't have a better king...I think you are giving him too much credit. I think a fair amount of time you will see his JT and it will be good, but against a player like this I wouldn't fold for one on the river, you are screaming weakness on the turn+river, begging for him to stab at the pot.

Hand 2: I have typed and retyped my response to this a bunch of times, and I am stil confused about what to do. Personally, I check-call this one...he will bet a worse king (though it is very unlikely he has this), AQ, and a bluff. You will get 3bet from a flush like AKclubs, AQclubs, do you fold to it? It might be tough to fold to someone that is trying desperately to win a pot against you... Oh, and there's no way he's laying down a hand that beats you here...I hope that wasn't your plan :\
can't wait to see the results.
-DrG

TStoneMBD
10-14-2004, 07:16 AM
hand 1: ???!

hand 2: dont like the river bet, as id be worried about a raise. this guy is definitely going to bet the river regardless of his holding and youre not bluffing him off a better hand, just call his bet. the only reason for betting is to hope that he raises with a weaker hand, but in order for him to do that hed have to be a pure maniac.

rory
10-14-2004, 10:05 AM
My thinking on the hands:

Hand #1
I had a hard time not putting my opponent on a T-- if I was going to semi-bluff raise for a free card or something heads up, and the top card paired, I would be happy and bet again, expecting the take it down. That T was the best possible card for a semi-bluffer, but he didn't bet when it came out. Why?

Hand #2
I bet on the river because I thought a steaming-mad-going-to-get-you sort of player would call me with A high or a small pair, but would check behind with either of those if I checked. Is this thinking completely off for these situations?

ArchAngel71857
10-14-2004, 11:32 AM
hand 1. I don't like the check fold. his turn check leads me to believe you caught a king to get the best hand. I feel he may have bet with AK. I would bet out.

hand 2. I like the bet. he will definitely call with a worse hand here ( because he's gonna get you). if he raises, you can't even be sure he has the flush. It's shorthanded, so I like the bet.

-AA

Nate tha' Great
10-14-2004, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the hands:

Hand #1
I had a hard time not putting my opponent on a T-- if I was going to semi-bluff raise for a free card or something heads up, and the top card paired, I would be happy and bet again, expecting the take it down. That T was the best possible card for a semi-bluffer, but he didn't bet when it came out. Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

He could have trip 7's if he's capable of playing them that fast on the flop. Not that you beat sevens over any more than you beat tens over. But I'm nevertheless inclined to look him up.