PDA

View Full Version : Pot Limit Omaha...Dicey Situation

01-29-2002, 06:01 PM
I'm playing in a pot limit omaha hi game at my university...it has an interesting structure, but it is actually fairly large by dorm standards. The buy-in is $100 and every chip is worth a dollar (it's a castle building game), but people are quickly in 800 and 900 bucks. Anyway, there are no blinds, but everyone must ante $1 at the start of every hand and the first to act may check or bet. We're 5 handed. First to act checks. 2nd to act is ultra aggressive and horribly stuck...he is always making plays at the pot and is down about $700 when this hand comes up. As usual, he bets the pot ($5) without looking at his cards. All call to me (button), I have 6sAs10d6d and call (this is standard preflop in this game at least, folding is heresy though I will do it with something god awful). First to act calls. $30 in the pot, 3 players. The flop comes 6-K-Kr. It is checked to me. I decide to bet $20 to see where I'm at. I am probably against a king and while ahead at the moment am most likely against someone who has many outs. I could also be drawing almost dead. I have about $500 in front of me. The first player calls as does loose aggressive. I am nervous here. The pot is $90. The turn is an offsuit deuce. It is checked to me. I can't check here bc I will not know what to do on the river when the crazy man bets the pot into me. So I bet $60. The first player calls and loose aggressive checkraises me $100; he has about $150 left in front of him. I look over and see the first player already pitching his cards in out of turn so he is out of the picture (not an actor). I think and think. He is clever enough to put me on a dry king that I could lay down so he could be making this raise with anything. Or he could have a king himself and be on a live draw (but I think he knows I wouldnt be doing this without at least a big king). I decide to call him down. River is a rag. He bets $150 all in. I take a few minutes, almost chicken out, but call again with pain. Results to follow....do you like my thinking here (playing the player)or is this a bad play in a PL game?

Jeff

01-29-2002, 06:03 PM
I call and am prepared for a bad beat. He shows pocket deuces for a turned underboat and I took it down. He seemed irritated by my call, but others were impressed. Monster pot and pays some bills this month. All comments appreciated.

Jeff

01-29-2002, 06:53 PM
Hey, you're playing the player here, and that's what it's all about in big bet poker. If you're wrong, then the problem is with your read more than your decision based upon your read.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

01-30-2002, 05:22 AM
You said it yourself, he's horribly stuck and loves to make plays at the pot and is ultra-aggressive. Even if you lose the hand, to fold here is idiotic (assuming your read of his playing style is correct). He can only beat you with KK, K2, or K6.

Now, with regard to slowing down and letting him do the betting, I'm not sure if that was the best idea. He could very well have a king and have nine outs on you. Push in now, because you don't care if he folds a king, and since he's on tilt he'll likely call with some funky stuff, including any king probably.

natedogg