PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits on the War on Terror

cjromero
10-08-2004, 08:22 AM
I heard a radio interview with author Richard Miniter. He has written a new book entitled "Shadow War". Some of the tidbits from the interview include:

1. Since 9/11, the U.S. has killed or captured 3,000 Al Queda operatives in 102 countries.

2. Intelligence officials say that, on average, the U.S. foils one terrorist plot every day against Americans, either in this country or abroad.

3. Unlike in Iraq, the U.S. is working with dozens of other countries around the world to fight terrorism. After the operations in Afghanistan, Al Queda needed to set up a new base of operations. They first tried Southeast Asia, but through an alliance of 6 countries (including the U.S., Indonesia, Thailand, and the Phillipines), those plans were thwarted. Since then, Al Queda is trying to set up shop in several Noth African countries. U.S. special forces are working closely with French special forces to find and eliminate those new base camps in North Africa.

4. Many U.S. military officials believe that Bin Laden, assuming he is alive, is actually in Iran, not somewhere on the Pakistan/Afghanistan border. Word is that the Iranian mullahs, in an effort to stay in power, have agreed to harbor Bin Laden and other Al Queda operatives, in exchange for billions. Iran is clearly next on the U.S. list of countries to go after. The author said to expect an invasion by this time next year.

5. Also on Iran, there is a huge pro-democracy movement being led by college age students. In the days after 9/11, thousands of Iranian youth attended a candlelight vigil not for the hijackers, but for the victims. In response, the Iranian police was dispatched to beat them down. The next night, even more students showed up for another vigil. And even more police were used against them. This went on for several days.

elwoodblues
10-08-2004, 08:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. Intelligence officials say that, on average, the U.S. foils one terrorist plot every day against Americans, either in this country or abroad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have little doubt that we are doing a lot of work that is unseen, but this seems absurd to me.