PDA

View Full Version : AA, Board Pairs Turn

Ajax410
10-08-2004, 04:34 AM
After getting bet into once before, should I just call this bet on the turn? At the time, I was really considering just calling down - then I decided chances were he wouldn't cap betting with a single jack - and the chances of him having 2 just went down considerably - is this the right play?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (20.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (13.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 19.25 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

John White
10-08-2004, 04:39 AM
You're only going to get called on the river by a Jack or a straight, right? I think you're looking for a cheap showdown here, unless your read tells you this guy will call down with second pair or even an overpair.

Ajax410
10-08-2004, 04:45 AM
My read on him was overaggressive - but also as someone who has fared pretty well in showdowns. I thought a long time about this and ended up betting only because I hadn't seen him check-raise in over 150 hands and didn't expect any funny business from him...is looking at check raising okay for decision making?

skunkworks
10-08-2004, 05:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You're only going to get called on the river by a Jack or a straight, right? I think you're looking for a cheap showdown here, unless your read tells you this guy will call down with second pair or even an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get called by a lot more than a jack or a straight here. If you were playing against a tricky aggressive opponent, the kind you see in higher limit games, then I might agree with you. Otherwise, there's no reason to think this weakly about your hand.

You are not looking for a cheap showdown here at all. You are looking to value bet and have them call you with worse hands, which they will do very frequently. The fact is that at these lower limit games, the range of hands your opponent can hold is so wide that you can get away with value betting some marginal hands knowing that people will call you with all sorts of goofy crap.

TheHip41
10-08-2004, 08:29 AM
Nice hand. Looks like he has KK, or unlikely, the other AA, or AK /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bukem_
10-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Why fear the worst hear?

I have a hard time putting him on a reasonable hand here, except for ak.

If he's overly aggressive, you have to play this just like you did. If he has JJ,QQ,KK, and probably TT here he is gonna 3 bet you, and you still can't be scared just yet of his hand.

turn: so another j pops up, and he fires again, I still raise here vs. overly aggressive, if he now 3 bets, I call down.

river: I agree. probably his ak never got there, and you never left, but I think he could also have a wide range of semi-unreasonable hands here.