PDA

View Full Version : Logic Question

Mason Malmuth
10-08-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi Everyone:

I spent the weekend in Santa Monica with Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie working on the manuscript of the new book. In the evening we took a dinner break and walked down the street looking for a restraurant. One of the first places we passed had a sign up that said something like "Rated one of the top five buffets in the world."

Obviously that's pretty good. But the question is of the top five, which number is it?

Best wishes,
Mason

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Well, prolly #5.

Otherwise it would say "#1" or "top 3"

slickpoppa
10-08-2004, 01:35 AM
I don't see how this is a logical question, but i would guess that the number is 5. If they were, say, the third best buffet in the world, it would advertise itself as "Rated one of the top three buffets in the world." If it were ranked any better than five, it wouldn't want to shortchange itself by saying that it is among the top 5.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-08-2004, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how this is a logical question, but i would guess that the number is 5. If they were, say, the third best buffet in the world, it would advertise itself as "Rated one of the top three buffets in the world." If it were ranked any better than five, it wouldn't want to shortchange itself by saying that it is among the top 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just said exactly that in many less key strokes.

BTW I used very simple logic to figure this out.

slickpoppa
10-08-2004, 01:47 AM
You go girl!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-08-2004, 01:57 AM
waPOWN!

mmbt0ne
10-08-2004, 02:38 AM
I think it could just as easily be #4. We tend to like top 10s 5s and 3s, so saying top 4 not only would look weird, but would give away the ranking as well. Obviously 1-3 are out of the question, but I don't see a reason to dismiss 4 so quickly.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
10-08-2004, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it could just as easily be #4. We tend to like top 10s 5s and 3s, so saying top 4 not only would look weird, but would give away the ranking as well. Obviously 1-3 are out of the question, but I don't see a reason to dismiss 4 so quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good point. So it can be 1, 3, or 5. If it were #1 it would say, so its either 3 or 5.
Top 3 is kinda weird sounding so id put my money on #5.

I wonder what mason has to say, this post is weirder than some of sklanskys.

RocketManJames
10-08-2004, 03:13 AM
While I think in terms of logic, it has to be #4 or #5, I believe that there is definitely a possibility that this buffet was rated in the top 5 in an unranked "best 5" list.

What comes to mind is the list of "Great Steakhouses" that seems to be in every airline magazine... the one that includes Gene and Giorgetti's and Rainwater on Kettner's. It's some unranked list of "best" restaurants.

-RMJ

RiverTheNuts
10-08-2004, 06:07 AM
I think that the same person doesn't go and eat at every buffet in the world, so you can't really distinguish between the top 1, 2, hell, probably 200 restaurants in the world, different strokes for different folks.

However, if this "rating" scale they use is absolute and foolproof, I would say that it could be 4 or 5

well
10-08-2004, 07:15 AM
It not only stated that it's rated amongst the top five,
It's rated ONE of the top five!

So... one.

BarronVangorToth
10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

I spent the weekend in Santa Monica with Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie working on the manuscript of the new book. In the evening we took a dinner break and walked down the street looking for a restraurant. One of the first places we passed had a sign up that said something like "Rated one of the top five buffets in the world."

Obviously that's pretty good. But the question is of the top five, which number is it?

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

It's obviously #5 (perhaps #4) for the reasons detailed above. My point, however, is that this whole question would be SO much funnier if just a single word was changed:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Everyone:

I spent the weekend in Santa Monica with Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie working on the manuscript of the new book. In the evening we took a dinner break and walked down the street looking for hookers. One of the first places we passed had a sign up that said something like "Rated one of the top five buffets in the world."

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

MicroBob
10-08-2004, 07:42 AM
To be honest, I thought the chicken was a little bit dry and I DEFINITELY thought the vegetables could have been fresher.

I really enjoyed their smashed potatoes though.
And the ice-cream bar is an absolute DREAM.
The sweet-tea wasn't sweet enough for my tastes.
I was extremely disappointed that the Taco-Bar is only on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

fnord_too
10-08-2004, 09:55 AM
I would like to know what rating body has eaten at all the buffets in the world, or even in all the top rated buffets that every other rating body rates. (Early morning sentenses are always the best!)

BarronVangorToth
10-08-2004, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know what rating body has eaten at all the buffets in the world,

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets even funnier thinking about Hooker Buffets.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Big Bend
10-08-2004, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I spent the weekend in Santa Monica with Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Robertie the famous backgammon player/author? He's into poker now too? What's he writing about?

I'm seeing alot of crossover from the backgammon world to the poker world. Very similar games actually.

scalf
10-09-2004, 12:07 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif duuuuhhh;

5th of course

you show your inexperience in marketing

lol

gl

/images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

kmvenne
10-09-2004, 12:09 AM
4.5 +/- 0.5 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

FrankLu99
10-09-2004, 12:52 AM
are u talking about the lighthouse buffet?

i heard that the food was just decent. the kicker was that the lunch buffet is $12 which is hecka-cheap for a sushi and seafood buffet.

AJo Go All In
10-09-2004, 01:51 AM
obviously you are looking for #5, but

your question cannot really be answered. we could say it is most likely that it is rated fifth, but it could also be the case, for instance, that the raters just listed the top 5 in no particular order, or that it was among 5 who all tied for the "perfect score", or that it was really 4th but the advertisers thought top 4 sounded weird, etc.

Yobz
10-09-2004, 01:51 AM
3 +/- 2

garyc8
10-09-2004, 09:08 AM
If they were #1 they would say so. If they were #2 or #3 they would say "top 3" (noone would even implicitly admit to being #2). But if they are #4 they would still say "top 5" since saying "top 4" screams "we're number 4".

Q.E.D.

bigpooch
10-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Is it even in the top five? Didn't seem very impressive,
did it? After all, you passed by!

Cerril
10-10-2004, 01:17 AM
I'd say 4th or 5th, unless it was like an official sticker or something by a group that said 'here are the top 5 in no order'.

The reason being, people expect 1,3,5 but not 2,4. So if we had 4th best, we couldn't say '4th best', and we couldn't really say 'top 4' because to most people that means '4th best'. On the other hand, if we say 'top 5' then it leaves something open to doubt because 5 is a standard number for rating.

Now if it were 2-3 then it would be 'top 3', and best is of course the best.

Mason Malmuth
10-10-2004, 02:42 AM
Hi pooch:

Dan stated that there were at least five buffets in Las Vegas that are better.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth
10-10-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi BB:

Bil and Dan are writing Harrington on Hold 'em: Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments; Volume I: Strategic Play. Volume I is on the early and middle stages of tournaments, and Volume II will be on the end play of tournaments.

best wishes,
Mason

Steve Giufre
10-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Five, man.

Kenrick
10-10-2004, 04:17 AM
If this is a logic question, then logic dictates this thread is more than anything merely an ad for the upcoming 2+2 book.

shooter
10-10-2004, 07:46 PM
It would have to be the fifth rated buffet. If it were second, it would say "one to the top two..." If it were worse than 5th it might say, "one of the top buffets...."

Rule one don't cut on Superman's cape. Two don't eat at a place called "Moms," (Or "One of the top five...")

VoicesSaidSo
10-11-2004, 04:15 PM
#1?

Rated /one/ of the top five. Just goofy grammar?

thylacine
10-11-2004, 05:23 PM
First, I'll assume that this isn't actually a logic question since it is posted in the probability forum. I'll also assume that claims of this type are always true, and also that there are no ties in the international buffet rankings. Furthermore, I will assume that all buffets in the world post a truthful sign outside saying, for some positive integer j, that they are rated one the top j buffets in the world. This will imply with certainty that they are in fact rated exactly i^th in the world for some positive integer i that is less than or equal to j.

Now for the detailed calculation. For positive integers i and j, suppose that P(i,j) is the probability that a buffet that is actually rated exactly i^th in the world, will post a sign outside saying that they rated one the top j buffets in the world. So of course P(i,j)=0 whenever j is less than i, and

\Sum_{j=i}^{\infty} P(i,j)=1.

Then the probability that a buffet claiming to be rated one the top j buffets in the world, is actually rated exactly i^th in the world is

P(i,j)/ [ \Sum_{k=1}^{j} P(k,j) ].

I may have intentionally made a mistake in what I just wrote. I'm not sure. You guys don't need to be going to buffets anyway.

Mason Malmuth
10-12-2004, 04:31 AM
2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif + 2/images/graemlins/club.gif = 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MM

kleraudio
10-12-2004, 06:51 PM
was that a joke mr. malmuth. an advertisement for the books comin out perhaps? or are you serious?

Jim /images/graemlins/spade.gif

submariner
10-12-2004, 10:03 PM
#5. Otherwise they would have said one of the top 4, top 3, etc.

Trix
10-13-2004, 08:28 PM
top4 sounds lame, same with top2. So itīs either number 2,4 or 5.

Warren Whitmore
10-14-2004, 08:03 AM
I am going to go with 8500th. Its a big world after all with a lot of buffet's in it. I may not be right but I have got to be closer than 5.

"Its better to be vaguly right than precisly wrong"
John Maynard Keynes

AngryCola
10-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Hi Mason,

That is just plain sick! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

flair1239
10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
It is rated 5th. If it had been rated higher, then they would have said something like: "Rated one of the top 3".

elwoodblues
10-22-2004, 09:24 AM
It has to be 5 or 4. You wouldn't say "one of the top 4," just doesn't have a ring to it. 3 or 2 would be in the "top 3" (you wouldn't say 2nd best buffet) and 1 would be "the number 1 buffet."

Beerfund
10-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Never have I ever seen a thread with more of the same exact answers before.......uhhhh it has to be 4 or 5 because they wouldnt say we're 1 of 5 if they were #3 blahblahblahhhhhhhh /images/graemlins/mad.gif

AngryCola
10-22-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never have I ever seen a thread with more of the same exact answers before.......uhhhh it has to be 4 or 5 because they wouldnt say we're 1 of 5 if they were #3 blahblahblahhhhhhhh /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree, it's pretty bad. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

r3vbr
10-22-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Rated one of the top five buffets in the world."

[/ QUOTE ]

Rated one of the top five buffets in the world... It's saying it's rated first out of the top five hehe :P

AngryCola
10-22-2004, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rated one of the top five buffets in the world... It's saying it's rated first out of the top five hehe :P

[/ QUOTE ]

Read Mason's answer.

I must say, the type of responses he continues to get are very funny. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Token
11-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Those who say the answer is 4 or 5 are assuming that only one ranking event determined the restaurant's quality. There could have easily been two such events in which the restaurant placed 1st in one and 5th in the another. If this is the case, the sign illustrates a consensus opinion of its quality.

timmer
11-04-2004, 01:00 AM
I the statement is indeed true it was rated number one *in* the top five buffets. However if the above premis is not a true statment than the advetisement is a fallacy of ambiguity or presumption.

However if it was indeed # 1 they would plainly state " Rated # one buffett in the world" as there is no need to include any others including # 50 or #5000.. Likewise if it was Number 3 no need to include 4 or 5 if individual ratings were givin. However if ratings 1-5 were given as a block then it could be truly rated as one of the top 5 buffetts in the world . In this case any buffett in that group could claim to be #1 or equal to #1 which in my mind is #1

So it is very likely it is at best #5

As an aside I would think it is highly doubtfull that it was even close to #5 as far as buffetts go.

timmer

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif + 2/images/graemlins/club.gif = 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

go read 1984 for the REAL answer.

PuckNPoker
11-04-2004, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

None! They are bluffing! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
11-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I'd go for number 4.

They must get people all the time saying "You're number five aren't you?" and to be able to respond "No, we're number four" creates a feeling of honesty.

My actual guess is that it's ranked #434211 and they are lying however because if it really was one of the top five, other people would do the advertising for them to get more people into the area.

Lori