PDA

View Full Version : Political ebonics?

wacki
10-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Does anyone know where flip flop came from?

I know politicians use it, but it's been in the hip hop community for a long time. I'm just wondering if politicians are starting to talk the black mans talk.

Tupac - Cradle To The Grave

I never flip flop
hear my glock cock thug till I drop.

And if I hit the pen,
I gotta do my time
Sittin' on my bunk,
reminiscin' about the good times.

It's f#cked up a nigga gotta grow up doing dirt,
But from the cradle to the grave I'm gonna put in work.

nothumb
10-08-2004, 01:33 AM
I think this post belongs in the Politics forum.

NT

wacki
10-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Naw, this is an etymology thread. That's not politics.

Malarky
10-08-2004, 02:56 AM
THUG LIFE

jokerswild
10-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Stereotypical racism. I'm hoping now that you do get drafted. It would amke you grow up. Perhaps you can die for George Bush's oil investments. Your parents will receive a pleasnt lettter.

Lazymeatball
10-08-2004, 11:03 AM
what the hell are you talking about joker? There is no racism in this post. There is no draft. what is your problem?

nothumb
10-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Jokerswild is right. You didn't demonstrate that this has been in the hip-hop community a long time. So Tupac said it once - big deal! I need more proof. Links, please. Otherwise I will have to label you a vicious racist as well.

I think what this really proves is that the GOP is the realest niggas on the block.

One.

NT

elwoodblues
10-08-2004, 11:32 AM
The point is to question why anyone would assume that because you found 1 reference to a phrase in one rap album that it is "ebonics" that is now being bought by the mainstream.

wacki
10-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Wow, I am a racist. That is something I haven't heard before. I'm guoting Tupac, so I obviously like his music, yet I "hate them molassis people". The logic in this thread is amazing.

As for the etymology of the word, THAT IS WHY I"M POSTING!!!! Holy cow, lighten up. It was a simple question. And who cares how many times it was found in a hip hop song. If the first known use of it was in a hip hop song then it obviously came from hip hop. Again, the logic in this thread is amazing.

Just for your information, in 1994 all of the urban dictionaries listed flip flop as a spineless bastard that flipped sides when it was convenient. It was meant more towards someone that flipped flopped between ganges or back and forth between the DEA and his outlaw crew and family. No political references were made. Now urbandictionary.com only lists Kerry related definitions. So obviously it is reasonable to think that maybe, just maybe, hip hop created a word that rhymes (good for rap) that means switching sides. Again, I don't know, but what the hell does that have to do with me being a racist.

Plus, when I was younger, I did alot of hard labor. I met alot of black people from the inner city and learned ALOT of slang. They all knew the word flip flop.

Nothumb, you said
[ QUOTE ]
Jokerswild is right. You didn't demonstrate that this has been in the hip-hop community a long time. So Tupac said it once - big deal! I need more proof. Links, please. Otherwise I will have to label you a vicious racist as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

In response to that, I will simply quote myself from the original post:

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know where flip flop came from?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, the logic in this thread is amazing.

jokerswild, and nothumb.

"I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul"

elwoodblues,
think about it harder

elwoodblues
10-08-2004, 02:27 PM
The earliest reference I've found (with the meaning of changing positions) is a Time Magazine article from 1983:

"But since many Chinese have suffered in the past because of unpredictable flip - flops in party policy, Deng Xiaoping has yet convince everyone that this time the reforms are more than ephemeral."

wacki
10-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Thank you elwoodblues.

True hip hop arose during the 1970s, so it's not definite, but I'm guessing that it's not an ebonics word.

elwoodblues
10-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Just found a 1962 Arkansas Supreme Court case using it as well:

"A few short months later this same board based upon practically the identical testimony did a complete flip flop and granted appellee's permit. The record is silent as a tomb as to why. "

wacki
10-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Wow, thankyou elwoodblues. How did you find all this stuff?

meow_meow
10-08-2004, 03:49 PM
the "online etymology dictionary" says:
""thong sandal," 1960s, imitative of the sound of walking in them (flip-flap had been used in various echoic senses since 1529); sense of "complete reversal of direction" dates from 1900. "

I hate to say this, but perhaps if you removed your head from your ass, you would discover a neat little tool by the name of google...

wacki
10-08-2004, 04:07 PM
I did use google, just didn't pick the right search words.

Didn't thing of using etymology as a search word.... dooh!!!!
Too much Corona last night.