PDA

View Full Version : PLO high only ??

01-24-2002, 04:40 PM
I know the ins and outs of omaha. i mostly know it as a high-low game. i am definitely not a great omaha player, but can beat the game with a fairly decent lineup of opponents. i've never played pot-limit, and i've never played high only. how bad of a disadvantage am i at if i jump into a $300 buy-in weekly 'feature' game at the local card room? i don't misread hands, and i know that can be a big problem if you do, but i am totally inexperienced at the game. advise me please...

01-24-2002, 06:07 PM
to me, hi-low is more complex--thus I co not feel that you will have big problems with high only

just remember that it is ok to make best hand on the flop but what you really want is a draw to the nuts to beat that best hand

01-24-2002, 10:02 PM
You state that you have never played pot-limit and also that you have never played omaha straight-high. Thus, you are trying to make two leaps at the same time. In my opinion that is not a good strategy to take. If you can find a omaha-hi game that is not pot-limit - get some good experience at that game before going to pot-limit. Take smaller steps, it will be easier on your bankroll. You mention a $300 buy in for the pot-limit game but do not state what the blind structure is (1/2 or 5/5 or 5/10?); this should also be a consideration in your decision.

If you really want to take a stab then do so. Just be careful. But before you do, I would recommend buying and reading Omaha Holdem Poker by Bob Ciaffone. It has good advice and covers limit and pot-limit games.

Good luck!

01-25-2002, 01:00 AM
the switch to high is not beyond your ability baggins. but in pot limit how you bet your money and gauge the strength of your hands makes or breaks you. if you are not experienced you may have no chance in omaha. but should try holdem first. in omaha pot limit lots of hands are forced to play big pots so your mistakes get you.

01-25-2002, 07:36 PM
I would steer clear of this game until i got a little experience. People new to this game would no doubt overbet their weak made hands (like flopping the nut 8 high straight, with a flush draw out). Also they may be inclined to underbet their draws.

Position play is absolutely critcial in potlimit omaha, more than any other game. Play a few hands of low limit online before you go jumping into this game. This assumes you like your money of course. If you get good though, the only way is up. This is the number one money game.