PDA

View Full Version : JJ in CO everybody limps twice

wacki
10-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Bugsy club 400 people pokerschool tourney.
Start with 10,000 and hero has 40,000 which is a little above average at the table. Play on general is a bit loose, nothing too bad, and there are some tight players at the table.

Hero on Button with JJ blinds 50/100
everybody limps, I am getting better than 5:1 pot odds I need so I raise 100. Everyone calls up to the CO who raises all in 36,000. I reraise all in, then 4 other people call.

I lose to SB who has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO and BB had KTo. I did not expect them to go all in with cards like that. I forget what the others had, but it was nothing special. I went out tied for 67th place, unbelievable.

Still, I did the right thing, no?

Thoughts on raise, call, anything is welcome.

wacki
10-08-2004, 03:25 AM
43 views and no comment? Did I not say enough information, or something?

ethan
10-08-2004, 03:48 AM
The raise pf is a good idea, but you should make a bigger one. If this is a full table there's 850 in the pot when it gets to you, go ahead and make it 750-800 or so instead of 200. You have the best hand, and at least in theory you'd like to thin the field a bit. It appears such a thing isn't possible at this table. (Also, what's the bit about 5:1 pot odds. I don't understand why that'd make you want to raise, min- or other. You should raise, but I'm confused as to why that'd be a reason for it.)

This table is more than "a bit" loose if 6 people call that all-in. For instance, the big blind overcalling with KTo for 400xBB is not making a good play. /images/graemlins/smile.gif When you say play has been "nothing too bad" you mean that this hand is very atypical for the table, right?

You don't often see an over-over-over-over-over-over-limp-reraise-all-in, particularly not for 20x the pot, so I'm really not sure what a normal range of hands for CO would be. You're getting just about exactly 1:1 on your call.

I doubt you're up against AA-QQ here. This just comes down to whether you feel like gambling...if you're up against Ax there's a good chance some of his outs are gone because so many other people liked their hands at least a little. No reasonable player will play any hand this way against you, and that makes it pretty hard to figure out where you are. Odds are pretty good you're ahead...I guess. Someone with more experience in freerolls may be able to help more here.

LethalRose
10-08-2004, 03:52 AM
raising 100 isnt enought to force people out..

if 5 people limped including the SB who completes..thats 500 in the pot, so raise 1500 or push all in if thats >40% of your stack. all the limping just screams A/x or small pairs. now sometimes when i have AA or KK i limp UTG hoping someone will reraise so i can then re raise them..but thats tricky and most people dont do it..

you want to force out hands like A/x or anything suited. small connected pairs and pocket pairs 99-22, anything bigger you probably wont scare off....

JJ is a good hand to raise with, but when reraised against a good opponent you could be in trouble..seems like a very loose table so your probably ahead. the key in holdem is getting all your money in when your a favorite..I believe this is a situation where you are probably ahead.

on the flop i would fold to any raise..with 5 people or so in the pot odds are someone has an ace.

cferejohn
10-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Chris confused. What was raising 100 supposed to accomplish? To the degree that I understand min-raising at all, I truly cannot comprehend why someone would min-raise after one or more limpers. What are you trying to accomplish here? No one who has limped is going to fold, and you'll probably get at least one of the blinds to come along as well.

Can't argue with the result here (JJ v. A8 all-in preflop is a situation you want, obviously), but I'm very curious as to what the raise was meant to accomplish. What did getting 5:1 have to do with anything?