PDA

View Full Version : Wimpy PLO Play?

01-23-2002, 02:27 PM
Pot limit home game, 10-10 blinds. Early in evening, everyone buys in for $500. I have about $700.

On turn, board is 3-5-10-J, two spades.

I have 8-10-J-K, with King high spade flush draw on button.

BB bets (tricky, aggressive player) pot, $125. Do I raise or just call? I called.

Queen of spades came on river, giving me second nut hand.

BB checks.

I'm not very experienced at PL/NL play, but it seems that I could very easily be falling into a trap if I bet. In limit, I'd fire away. However, PL is a different story.

I checked and won. BB high baby flush as well as two pair.

Comments?

Tom

01-23-2002, 04:37 PM
I think this may be one of those situations where if you bet, you only get called if you are beat. If you aren't beat, then he folds or raises. Milking some more money out of this hand is more of a limit concept. If you had said BB was a Go Off Artist, instead of tricky/agressive, you might have considered a bet on the end.

As a side note, when you called on 4th street, what did you think the situation was?

01-23-2002, 04:44 PM
you must understand thinking here. would he have bet draws or smaller two pairs into you. if yes then raise all you can.

on the end since he bet on fourth street its less likely he had just a draw. so its more likely his draw was not to the nuts. plus since he led on fourth street he would bet the river as it makes it harder for you to put him on the nuts. plus after betting he is less likely to get bet at unless its a bluff, so he is more likely to bet if he had the nuts. so when he checks you should certainly bet. as he may call with weak hands hoping to catch a bluff or hands he didnt want to bet with but will call with.

plus if you dont bet here that means you only bet with the nuts. so who would ever call you.

01-23-2002, 04:49 PM
On 4th, I figured I might have the best hand and I had a ton of outs. Also, BB is type of player to bet the draw. And I lay down too many hands in PLO. I figured this was a pretty good situation where I should make some sort of stand.

On that note, another hand I was dealt was A-3-3-5, suited ace. Flop came A-3-10, one of my suit. SB bet pot $100, and with three players behind me I folded. I play a ton of O8, and I know how vulnerable small sets are. Anyway, he got one caller. It came runner runner in my suit, for nut hand. Both players, btw, had aces and tens. Too conservative?

Tom

01-24-2002, 04:23 AM
plus since he led on fourth street he would bet the river as it makes it harder for you to put him on the nuts.

Are you saying that if he had the nut flush on 5th street, he would have bet it because it was disguised by his bet on 4th street? If so, I know a lot of players who make that play, so it's a good line of thought. Would you ever bet the nut draw on 4th and then check when you hit it on the river?

plus if you dont bet here that means you only bet with the nuts. so who would ever call you.

Well said. It also prompts the more astute players to take shots at your non-nut hands. If you bet here and don't get called, do you show your hand to advertise?

01-24-2002, 06:36 AM
> On that note, another hand I was dealt was A-3-3-5, suited ace.

> Flop came A-3-10, one of my suit. SB bet pot $100, and with three players behind me I folded.

> I play a ton of O8, and I know how vulnerable small sets are. Anyway, he got one caller.

> It came runner runner in my suit, for nut hand. Both players, btw, had aces and tens.

> Too conservative?

Nah - you gotta put your opponents on AA or 1010

or a big wrap like AKQJ or KQJ9 or something like

that and your runner-runner flush will (roughly)

make it 1 in 20 times (pretty much the same as

you getting that last 3) so I would fold here

every time in PLO (with the exception with

heads-up) with that many players in the pot.

OmaHal

01-24-2002, 11:19 PM
if i did bet the draw on fourth street , against a bluffer or very aggressive person, i would then check when the flush came on the river. as good players would know i didnt hit and was vunerable to a bluff or to a value bet.

against good players you always get the worst of it by showing your hand. the info that they remember is how your reactions were to the situation, and that will come back to bite you later. i cant think of too many players that win that show their hands very often. and the ones that do are very loose players that are always changing the way they do things, but it still costs them against good players.

01-28-2002, 12:45 PM
and a