PDA

View Full Version : nuts on the turn, not so nuts on the river

chio
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM
what do you think of my line, esp the river?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

River: (12.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero folds

DrGutshot
10-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Same every street - nh, I like your bet-3bet on the turn, and I only cry and call the river if MP is a known maniac.
resutls?

spider
10-08-2004, 02:19 AM
Why not lead on the flop, especially if you aren't going to check-raise the turn? With that board, someone might raise you trying to get a free card and then you can three bet the flop.

And I would think at least one other player is going to like that board, so it doesn't seem like you have to worry about losing customers. Seems like a good time to just build the pot and see who wants to come along for the ride.

chio
10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not lead on the flop, especially if you aren't going to check-raise the turn? With that board, someone might raise you trying to get a free card and then you can three bet the flop.

And I would think at least one other player is going to like that board, so it doesn't seem like you have to worry about losing customers. Seems like a good time to just build the pot and see who wants to come along for the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes this is definitely the better move now i think. i was multitabling so i didn't even realize i flopped the nuts, i thought i had a gutshot or something. betting will disguise my hand, and although prevent the risk of it getting checked behind on the turn, and i'm sure that board hit someone.

it's the river fold that i wanted comments on. sorry forgot reads. no read on UTG. MP was loose preflop but reasonable postflop

spider
10-08-2004, 10:49 AM
As far as the river, I probably call that at 5/10, but I always call on the river with the pot that big and a good hand. So discount my response heavily.

More specifically, I guess it comes down to whether MP is capable of making a play here. He may figure you for the straight, UTG for 2 pair(?), and think he has the best hand if he can get you to fold. Maybe that's a stretch, but if you want a scenario for calling... But he does look to have the flush here most likely.

I really don't know what hand to put UTG on, but you must have him beat whatever it is.

kiddo
10-08-2004, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not lead on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

yep! With a really good hand I almost always lead flop into a field bigger then headsup. They will call flop with nothing and catch something little on turn and... there you go with a big pot without anyone having anything at all. Will almost never happen if you slowplay. Or they play back at you on flop with a decent hand and you can happily raise and then bet turn againt and and hope for another "2pair"-raise or crycalling... I bet a lot of "made" hands on flop, from bottom pair and up, so my flopbet doesnt mean I got something.

Without a read I would call river hoping 3bettor is "tricky". Also he could "smartly" have slowplayed straigt and now preklick "raise any". If 3bettor isnt tricky I would fold because his passive play at turn certainly smells draw.